Tsunami Hits Indonesia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tsunami Hits Indonesia

Roshan Vridhachalam, Staff Writer

On September 28, a giant tsunami hit Indonesia. The tsunami, triggered by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake on the island of Sulawesi, hit the city of Palu on Friday, smashing buildings, moving cars, and bringing down trees. Over 400 people were killed and 400 more injured. But the death toll is still rising. People are trapped under rubble and many more are left without food and water. Stores are destroyed so people cannot even go and get food. Houses are crushed, water is everywhere, cars are destroyed, nothing is standing anymore. The Indonesian President Joko Widodo and the Indonesian Government have responded to this disaster well. Widodo appointed his Vice President to the recovery efforts. The government’s disaster management agency has deployed over 6,000 people to the area, ushering in convoy after convoy of fuel, planes filled with clean water, instant noodles and basic medicine. As of now, over 1,400 people have died.

To make it worse, a volcano erupted on the already weakened island. Mount Soputan, in North Sulawesi province, began spewing and shot up ash 19,700 feet (more than three and a half miles) into the sky. There have not been any immediate effects from the eruption on the city of Palu yet, which is a good sign. The Indonesian Government stated that this is not really affecting the relief efforts in Palu, as rescuers are already in the 7-day window of saving people. However, there are still a numerous amount of bodies still uncovered and many hospitals are overcrowded.

Indonesia is not battling this alone. India has launched Operation Samudra Maitri. India dispatched two aircraft (a C-130J “Super Hercules” plane, and a C-17) and three naval ships (INS Tir, INS Sujatha, and INS Shardul)  carrying relief materials. The ships are carrying 30,000 litres of bottled drinking water, 1,500 litres of packed juices, and 700 kg of biscuits. The planes are carrying a combined 37 medical personnel and 16 tonnes of medicine. Apple also donated $1 million dollars to aid in the relief efforts. Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple stated in a tweet, “Our hearts go out to the people of Sulawesi and all of Indonesia after this weekend’s devastating earthquake and tsunami. Apple is donating $1 million to aid relief efforts as this beautiful country starts to rebuild.”

This is not Indonesia’s first fight against nature, as they have been hit by other natural disasters before. Hands are reaching out internationally, as being seen by the trillion dollar company Apple, and many more acts of help will pursue. They have overcome those disasters before and they will overcome this one too, with the help of others as well.