Manifest Episode 2 Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manifest Episode 2 Review

Manifest episode 2

Manifest episode 2

Wiki Commons

Manifest episode 2

Wiki Commons

Wiki Commons

Manifest episode 2

Alex Price, Staff Writer

After the first episode saw over 10 million viewers, Manifest had a lot to live up to in episode two, titled “Reentry”. More of the characters were introduced, the conflict of the season became slightly more clear, and someone even dies, gasp. While the overall mystery of the show just seems to be becoming more convoluted, the characters’ connection is becoming more and more apparent. The week-by-week plots will seemingly be solved using these mysterious new abilities the characters have.

This week, the story centered around Ben Stone and Radd, a violinist that was also on the flight whose son is in jail for robbing the jewelry store he works at. Instead of hearing voices, Ben and Radd hear the same song in their head. The collaboration made sense as Ben would obviously want to help another man save his son since Ben knows what it’s like to be helpless to help his child. The director did an amazing job of weaving this into the established plotlines without forcing it or giving it too much time or not enough. If the show can keep the formula established in these first two episodes, the audience will stay. The pace is good, progressing all of the characters and stories.

With that being said, the episode wasn’t without his flaws. The script seems to be writing to an audience that can’t keep up with the story. The writing allows for a lack of attention, repeating certain lines multiple times and spelling everything out for the viewer, as opposed to letting the viewer experience it through the characters. For example, in the first episode, multiple characters mentioned getting second chances multiple times, and that seemed a little forced. In this episode, Cal, Ben’s son, complained about missing toys and toothbrushes and various things that he had before the plane multiple times. This played a pivotal part of the episode but it was forced down the audience’s throat. It also changed the dynamic of his character, because if it was brought up once or twice, it’s understandable but Cal seemed super bratty because of the frequency with which he complained.

This same plot technique was used again much more effectively in the episode. There was a passenger on the plane that talked to the news station after the NSA agent directly told them not to. This starts subtly with her face being on the news in the background and later she is shown talking about it, which leads to a cliffhanger that is able to be understood within the context of the episode but still leaves the viewers shaken. The second episode retained 8.5 million viewers and remained the number one scripted show from Monday night.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and...