A Road Most Traveled

Amelia Mendes and Sophie Hall

Amelia Mendes and Sophie Hall

Amelia Mendes and Sophie Hall

Behind the school, adjacent to the football field, lies a secret passageway, a hidden path for those who walk to Green Hope. Through wind and rain, braving the elements with their backpacks, this group trudges on a muddy, poorly marked trail every morning and every afternoon, while others are comfortably seated in their cars watching them disappear into the brush, not knowing where they came from or where exactly they are headed. So it occurred to two curious Green Hope Falcon reporters to get out of their cars and venture into the great unknown to ask these students how their daily educational pilgrimage could be made more pleasant. Here’s what they had to say in regards to a possible beautification project…

Student 1: “I definitely think that it would be amazing because there are so many kids who go through here and it definitely needs some work. I’ve seen people who are tired in the morning trip and fall on roots because we’re all just zombies in the morning. I definitely think the trail could use some love.”

Student 2: “I think it’d be nicer and a lot safer if measures were taken to prevent people from tripping over rocks.”

Student 3: “I think it’d be pretty good. Some beautiful flowers would be nice. There’s currently a lot of ugly stuff you don’t want to see. You want people to not mind walking the path. You want to make it like a yellow brick road. Right now, you’re not walking on a yellow brick road. Now, all you see are droppings, roots, and pine cones. People trip on this stuff. I’ve seen some walk home with bloody faces because they fell. I’ve seen scraped kneecaps and stuff like that. Yeah, it’d be pretty nice.”

We later spoke to Anna Dunn, the president of the Foodark club, in regards to what she thought could be done. “Well, any projects would be up to administration, but the Foodark club would be willing to help. We’d like to make the trail easier/safer to walk on and more accessible for students.”

In conclusion, this path could serve as a potential beautification project for the Foodark club, who through their efforts have improved other areas of the school with their botanical skills. Perhaps, the project could involve addressing some of the concerns, such as the larger roots, rocks, and poison ivy and possibly replacing them with more friendly flora and solar lights for dimly lit mornings. With the help of the Foodark club and administrative support, this muddy, melancholy trail could become a beautiful addition to our beloved school.

About the Writers
Amelia Mendes, Staff Writer

Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world to visit is Costa Rica, because her grandmother’s used to be there.  Her favorite subject in school is drama, and she hopes to eventually receive a bachelors degree in fine arts from Fordham University.  She joined The Falcon this year because she feels that journalism is a great medium to express yourself and write about issues that are relevant to your peers.

Sophie Hall, Staff Writer

The youngest of three sisters, Sophie Hall is a Junior this year at Green Hope.  She plays soccer, excels at drawing and her favorite movie is Pixar’s UP.  She has been a part of The Falcon for all three years of high school.  Money and smarts notwithstanding, she would go to MIT for college, and then move to New Zealand.  The most interesting thing for Sophie this summer was getting a new kitten. The class that she is most excited for this year is AP Psychology, which fits very well with her superpower of choice, telekinesis.  She views herself as night person because of how difficult it is to get out of bed in the morning.