Cosby Sentenced to Prison

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cosby Sentenced to Prison

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

After more than a decade and two trials, 81-year-old actor Bill Cosby has been sentenced to three to 10 years in a state prison. 14 years ago he sexually assaulted Andrea Constand, and finally is now being apprehended. Judge Steven O’Neill of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, said bail was not appropriate for his crime, saying, “This was a serious crime. Mr. Cosby, this has all circled back to you. The day has come, the time has come.”

In addition to no bail and his years in prison, Judge O’Neill said Cosby will be officially classified as a “sexually violent predator,” meaning that his name will be on the sexual predator list for a lifetime, which will notify communities that they have a sexually violent predator living in any area he moves to.

Cosby slipped Andrea Constand drugs to impair her and then sexually assaulted her in 2004. Constand reported this abuse to the authorities in 2005, but the prosecutors did not press charges. A decade later, the issue arose one more when many women came forward about Cosby sexually assaulting them, with him holding his power as a famous actor and comedian over them.

Before the court sentencing, Constand wrote a letter to the court describing Cosby’s assault and what she endured afterward. She said, “Bill Cosby took my beautiful, healthy young spirit and crushed it. He robbed me of my health and vitality, my open nature and my trust in myself and others.”

Bill Cosby’s sexual allegations opened up the truth behind the entertainment industry involving sexual assault. Many women and men from the entertainment industry, as well as people nationally, have come forward to speak of their experiences involving assault, with no justice for them following it. Now that Cosby is behind bars, hopefully many others will get their justice for what they experienced.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross...