Announcements 10/2

Daily Fun Fact: There are 1 million ants for every human in the world.

FALCON FORTUNES

Science Bowl: Science Bowl tryouts will be Tuesday 10/2 at 2:30 in room 2204.

PSAT TEST: The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered on Wednesday, October 10th from 7:25-11:45 am. Only students who have already registered will take the PSAT. There is no make-up day. Students taking the PSAT must remember to bring two No. 2 pencils and an approved calculator on test day. The school does NOT provide calculators. For more information: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests

Career Development: The ASVAB (military entrance exam) will be given at GHHS on 10/17/18. 10th – 12th graders may take the exam for free. If you plan to join the military after high school you must take this exam, but taking the exam does not obligate you to join the military. Sign up in Student Services until 10/05/18. For more information, see Ms. Barone in room 2203.

Career Development: Are you thinking about a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering? If so, you may want to participate in the ACE Mentor program, a multi-month mentor program in which students work in teams with professionals from the fields. To learn more, and possibly apply, visit this website: http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/. The deadline to apply is 10/31/18, but slots fill up, so apply soon! See Ms. Barone in 2203 with questions.

Career Development: Career-Related Remind Group Students are invited to join Ms. Barone’s Remind group to receive text notices about the following: – Career Conversations – Career Events – Internships – Summer Programs – Leadership Opportunities – Part Time Jobs To get reminders, complete one of the following: •Text @9k3ce to the number 81010 •Or via internet: go to rmd.at/9k3ce •Or on your phone’s web browser type in rmd.at/9k3ce See Ms. Barone in room 2203 with any questions.

Student Services: The following Colleges/Universities will be here next week: Tues. Oct. 2 Carlton College 8 am Univ. of Maryland – College Park 9 am Boston Univ. 1 pm Wed. Oct. 3 American Univ. 8 am Clemson Univ. 9 am Syracuse Univ. 1 pm Thurs. Oct. 4 Pace Univ. 8 am St. Mary’s College of Maryland 9 am USC – Southern Ca. 1 pm Friday, Oct. 5 Univ. of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh) 8 am UNC Charlotte 9 am

Club announcements

Hispanic Club: First meeting will be held during lunch on October 5th in room 214.

Brown Bag of Hope: We will be doing the winter coat drive, accepting gently used winter coats for adults, teen and kids. You can find the boxes to donate in the commons in front of the office. It will be ending on October 19th. Please Donate!!!!

Rubik’s Cubists: Are you fascinated with Rubik’s Cubes? Would you like to learn how to solve one or have some time to advance your skills? If so, the Rubik’s Cubists is just for you! The interest meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 17th during “B” lunch in M1-R8. All students, regardless of cubing experience, are welcome to attend. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at ghhsrubikscubists@gmail.com

American Cancer Society Hope Club: American Cancer Society Hope Club interest meeting is on Thursday, October 4th during the first half of lunch. The meeting will be held in Ms. Parkin’s Room 3200. Membership is open to all!! American Cancer Society Hope Club’s mission is to celebrate the lives of the cancer-fighting patients and to spread the awareness of cancer by providing service to the community. For more information, you can visit our website or email us: https://ghhsamericancancer.wixsite.com/website ghhsamericancancersocietyclub@gmail.com

NTHS: NTHS meeting on Monday, October 8th in the Auditorium during the first half of lunch for members only.

Future Business Leaders of America: Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA): MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO ALL! FBLA is a nationally recognized organization that prepares students to become business leaders in society. Club members compete at many levels in diverse events. Members can earn recognition and awards for their skills! Visit our website https://ghhsfbla.weebly.com/, join our remind @2c34h, follow us on twitter @GreenHopeFBLA, and email us at greenhopeFBLA@gmail.com for more information. Districts form is due by 3 pm October 1 in room 2322 and payment for dues is due by October 1 midnight.

Spanish Honor Society: Need Help in Spanish? Spanish Honor Society members are available to tutor students in all levels of Spanish offered at Green Hope. To request a Spanish tutor, fill out the form below: https://goo.gl/forms/6pEUbiFUozDWSFef2

Big Sister & Big Brother Club: Big Sister & Big Brother Club interest meeting on Wednesday, October 3rd during the first half of lunch. This meeting will be held in Ms. Diorio’s, Room 3218. For more information on the club: https://ghbigsisterandbigbrotherclub.weebly.com

Beta Club: Attention all freshmen or sophomores! Beta Club will hold its 2018-2019 interest meeting for new members on 10/3 in room 3208, for the first half of lunch. Please come in and learn about our club!

History & Geography Club: Let’s Make History and Put GHHS on the Map! 1. Club Meetings: Every Thursday BOTH halves of lunch in Mod 2-1. 2. If you have questions, contact Rohan Rajesh: rrajesh@students.wcpss.net 3. Website: https://ghhshistorygeography.weebly.com

National English Honor Society: HELLO! The National English Honor Society interest meeting will now be on Friday, September 28, 2018. Sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope to see you there! If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at greenhopenehs@gmail.com. Thank you! – Pauline Etchi, Green Hope NEHS President, 2018-19

JROTC club: If anyone is interested in doing ROTC when they are in college, the JROTC club is for you! this club has not been approved yet and members are needed! If anyone is interested, email me (Jennifer Caputo) at jecaputo@students.wcpss.net!

Naturalist Club (not yet made, needs members): Explore Nature with the Naturalist Club! In this club, we will explore the Green Hope wetland, photograph interesting wildlife, and submit pictures to the iNaturalist citizen science project! Meetings will be after school on the third Friday of every month. To join, sign your name on one of the sign-up sheets posted on the boards in Rooms M3-04, M3-07, 200, 316, 3304, or 3322. For further questions, contact Ashwin Srinivasan at amsrinivasan@students.wcpss.net.

Student Services: The following Colleges will be visiting Green Hope this week: Roanoke College, Butler Univ., Bates College, High Point Univ., Queens Univ. in Charlotte, Univ. of S. Carolina Columbia, Radford Univ., Wake Forest Univ., Duke Univ. Please sign up in Student Services before school, during lunch or after school if you’d like to attend one of these meetings.

Ultimate Frisbee: Green Hope girls’ ultimate frisbee team is looking for girls who want to try the fun sport of ultimate frisbee! Absolutely no experience is necessary to play with us. We practice 1-2 times a week, in addition to playing in games and tournaments. Email tomcaptains@googlegroups.com if you’re interested in more information.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/