Announcement 10/1

Daily Fun Fact: Horses can’t vomit

Seniors vote for superlatives here ~ must use your student email

FALCON FORTUNES

Science Bowl: Science Bowl tryouts will be Tuesday 10/2 at 2:30 in room 2204.

PSAT TEST: The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered on Wednesday, October 10th from 7:25-11:45 am. Only students who have already registered will take the PSAT. There is no make-up day. Students taking the PSAT must remember to bring two No. 2 pencils and an approved calculator on test day. The school does NOT provide calculators. For more information: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests

Career Development: The ASVAB (military entrance exam) will be given at GHHS on 10/17/18. 10th – 12th graders may take the exam for free. If you plan to join the military after high school you must take this exam, but taking the exam does not obligate you to join the military. Sign up in Student Services until 10/05/18. For more information, see Ms. Barone in room 2203.

Career Development: Are you thinking about a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering? If so, you may want to participate in the ACE Mentor program, a multi-month mentor program in which students work in teams with professionals from the fields. To learn more, and possibly apply, visit this website: http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/. The deadline to apply is 10/31/18, but slots fill up, so apply soon! See Ms. Barone in 2203 with questions.

Career Development: Career-Related Remind Group Students are invited to join Ms. Barone’s Remind group to receive text notices about the following: – Career Conversations – Career Events – Internships – Summer Programs – Leadership Opportunities – Part Time Jobs To get reminders, complete one of the following: •Text @9k3ce to the number 81010 •Or via internet: go to rmd.at/9k3ce •Or on your phone’s web browser type in rmd.at/9k3ce See Ms. Barone in room 2203 with any questions.

Career Development: Juniors and Seniors interested in taking college-level classes while in high school may be eligible to enroll in the Career and College Promise Program at Wake Technical Community College. Students interested in participating in this program are encouraged to attend an information session at GHHS on Monday 10/01 during A lunch in the Auditorium. Ms. Roberts, Dean of Students, and Ms. Barone, the Career Development Coordinator will host the information session.

Student Services: The following Colleges/Universities will be here next week: Tues. Oct. 2 Carlton College 8 am Univ. of Maryland – College Park 9 am Boston Univ. 1 pm Wed. Oct. 3 American Univ. 8 am Clemson Univ. 9 am Syracuse Univ. 1 pm Thurs. Oct. 4 Pace Univ. 8 am St. Mary’s College of Maryland 9 am USC – Southern Ca. 1 pm Friday, Oct. 5 Univ. of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh) 8 am UNC Charlotte 9 am

student services: Pavan Devarasetty, an NC State Park Scholar will be here on 10/1 at 9 am to present information about the Park Scholarship. The meeting will be held in the senior locker bay, and you can sign up in Student Services.

Club announcements

Future Business Leaders of America: Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA): MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO ALL! FBLA is a nationally recognized organization that prepares students to become business leaders in society. Club members compete at many levels in diverse events. Members can earn recognition and awards for their skills! Visit our website https://ghhsfbla.weebly.com/, join our remind @2c34h, follow us on twitter @GreenHopeFBLA, and email us at greenhopeFBLA@gmail.com for more information. Districts form is due by 3 pm October 1 in room 2322 and payment for dues is due by October 1 midnight.

Spanish Honor Society: Need Help in Spanish? Spanish Honor Society members are available to tutor students in all levels of Spanish offered at Green Hope. To request a Spanish tutor, fill out the form below: https://goo.gl/forms/6pEUbiFUozDWSFef2

Big Sister & Big Brother Club: Big Sister & Big Brother Club interest meeting on Wednesday, October 3rd during the first half of lunch. This meeting will be held in Ms. Diorio’s, Room 3218. For more information on the club: https://ghbigsisterandbigbrotherclub.weebly.com

Beta Club: Attention all freshmen or sophomores! Beta Club will hold its 2018-2019 interest meeting for new members on 10/3 in room 3208, for the first half of lunch. Please come in and learn about our club!

History & Geography Club: Let’s Make History and Put GHHS on the Map! 1. Club Meetings: Every Thursday BOTH halves of lunch in Mod 2-1. 2. If you have questions, contact Rohan Rajesh: rrajesh@students.wcpss.net 3. Website: https://ghhshistorygeography.weebly.com

National English Honor Society: HELLO! The National English Honor Society interest meeting will now be on Friday, September 28, 2018. Sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope to see you there! If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at greenhopenehs@gmail.com. Thank you! – Pauline Etchi, Green Hope NEHS President, 2018-19

JROTC club: If anyone is interested in doing ROTC when they are in college, the JROTC club is for you! this club has not been approved yet and members are needed! If anyone is interested, email me (Jennifer Caputo) at jecaputo@students.wcpss.net!

Naturalist Club (not yet made, needs members): Explore Nature with the Naturalist Club! In this club, we will explore the Green Hope wetland, photograph interesting wildlife, and submit pictures to the iNaturalist citizen science project! Meetings will be after school on the third Friday of every month. To join, sign your name on one of the sign-up sheets posted on the boards in Rooms M3-04, M3-07, 200, 316, 3304, or 3322. For further questions, contact Ashwin Srinivasan at amsrinivasan@students.wcpss.net.

Badminton Club: Badminton Club Interest Meeting – Come join us this Friday, September 28th in room 3218 for A lunch if you’re interested in joining the Badminton Club. Players of all levels are invited to join, all we ask is that you have an open mind and an interest in the sport of badminton.

Student Services: The following Colleges will be visiting Green Hope this week: Roanoke College, Butler Univ., Bates College, High Point Univ., Queens Univ. in Charlotte, Univ. of S. Carolina Columbia, Radford Univ., Wake Forest Univ., Duke Univ. Please sign up in Student Services before school, during lunch or after school if you’d like to attend one of these meetings.

Ultimate Frisbee: Green Hope girls’ ultimate frisbee team is looking for girls who want to try the fun sport of ultimate frisbee! Absolutely no experience is necessary to play with us. We practice 1-2 times a week, in addition to playing in games and tournaments. Email tomcaptains@googlegroups.com if you’re interested in more information.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/