GH Weekly Wrap-Up 9/23-9/29

The Falcons had another great week of performances. Most teams are in the full swing of conference play and getting ready for the playoffs to begin soon. Let us take a look back at how the Falcons held up last week.

Women’s Golf: The Women’s Golf Team picked up two wins last week in matches. The first was at Hillendale Golf Course, where the team was led by Halynn Lee with a score of 40. The second match was at Falls Village Golf Course, where Lee led the team with a score of 37. She was followed by Sidney Renville with a score of 38. The next match for the team is today at Lochmere Country Club.

Men’s Soccer: The team picked up two big conference wins versus Cary and Athens Drive last week. Athens Drive was ranked #3 in the North Carolina 4A MaxPreps rankings and this was a huge away win for the Falcons. The team takes on Riverside away tonight.

Volleyball: Having to play three matches in three days, the team swept all their opponents. The biggest of these wins was against Panther Creek. Green Hope has now claimed sole possession of first place in the Tri-6. The next match is on Tuesday at Cary.

Women’s Tennis: The tennis team swept Athens Drive and Riverside last week. The team has now improved their conference record to 9-0 going into the last week of the regular season. Green Hope will take on Jordan today and Panther Creek on Wednesday.

Football: The team had their scheduled bye week last week. The Falcons will have a home game this Friday versus Cary.

Cross Country: In a meet against Cary, Jordan, Panther Creek, and Athens Drive, the men’s team claimed first place with a score of 36. The guys were led by Ben Cale with a time of 17:18. The women’s team placed first with a score of 20, led by Kelsey Vogel with a time of 20:15. The team has another conference meet on Wednesday, then they travel to Greensboro on Saturday for the Hagan Stone Classic.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”