Volleyball Sweeps PC in Big Fight for 55 Match

Patrick Dunn and Brandon Morton

On Thursday, September 28th, the Falcons of Green Hope took on rival Panther Creek in volleyball’s first Fight for 55 matchup of the season. Green Hope swept Panther Creek in three straight sets.

The Falcons took care of business early, winning the first set 25-21. Led by junior Grace Patrick with 154 kills on the season, the team was able to put away the Catamounts quickly. Sophomore Annie Elvin is also a leader with 126 kills. Green Hope played last night with “probably the most energy all year”, said junior Sydney Dowler.

The second set was won 25-21 again.The Falcons jumped out to a 24-15 lead in the set, before the Catamounts went on a 6-0 run. The run and the set came to an end when Panther Creek served the ball into the net. This season Sydney Dowler leads Green Hope with 37 serving aces. Panther Creeks’ leader, Lauren Della, has only 24.

The Falcons took the third set by a score of 25-17. While the scoreboard may seem one sided this match was hard fought by both sides. The Falcons improve to 5-0 in conference play, claiming sole position of first place. The Catamounts fall to 4-1 in the conference. Be sure to come out to the Falcons’ next home game against Athens Drive on October 4th!

About the Writers
Patrick Dunn, Staff Writer

Patrick Dunn, a native North Carolinian, is a staff member of Falcon News Feed. Patrick is a senior and represents Green Hope by running on the cross country team and playing defense on the lacrosse team. Last year Patrick helped the lacrosse team win a Conference Championship by protecting the goal and not allowing his weaker opponents to score. Still undecided on what he wants to study, Patrick would like to go to UNC and after college, he would rather stay in the south. Outside of school and sports, Patrick likes to play the guitar or relax with a bowl of penne vodka watching Breaking Bad.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”