Manifest Review

Wiki Commons

Alex Price, Staff Writer

On Monday, September 24, the new television season started, headlined by the premiere of new drama, Manifest. Being the most recent attempt to replicate the style of hit show, Lost, it had a lot to live up to in the premiere. Like Lost, the show revolves around a flight that goes wrong, however this time the passengers don’t crash on an island. They land and five years have mysteriously passed. The hype was there, as it drew over 10 million, an increase from The Voice, which took the preceding timeslot. The show got off to a good start introducing a supernatural element, and leaving with a cliffhanger interesting enough to draw back most of the viewers while also being confusing enough to scare people away.

As stated earlier, the premiere was good. I definitely didn’t waste my time watching it. The episode set up multiple storylines that the creator has already said have been planned out for seasons to come. The mystery of the show has been successfully set up and the characters have clearly been made connected by the events of the episode. The concept itself is very interesting, seeing people pick their lives back up after being gone for five years, especially since that time hasn’t passed for them. Seeing twins now have a five year age difference, watching a woman lose things like her car or her apartment, seeing a man re-enter his family’s lives after five years. All those things have the possibility to make a very interesting show, as long as the flaws remain limited.

While the premiere was good, it wasn’t without its flaws. The characters didn’t spark much intrigue and were quite plain. However, the show hasn’t introduced all of the characters yet so that might change. Moments in the episode that seemed to be meant as shocking weren’t very shocking. At times, the acting was a bit much but it was never bad enough to remove me from the story. While there aren’t a lot of flaws, the characters need to become more interesting if the show is going to see any long term success.

At the heart of all ensemble shows is an interesting cast of characters that grow together. Just look at This is Us, Friends, The Walking Dead, and Lost. All of these shows had a core of characters that were different but all interconnected through the story being told. That is what Manifest must do in order to see that type of success. It’s definitely possible but only time will tell. Hopefully I don’t mysteriously time travel five years on the way home to find out Manifest was just the most recent television failure.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and...