The Reality of Being a Student Athlete

Maddy Clarke, Staff Writer

Being a student athlete comes with a lot of time, dedication, and responsibility. You have to
think about how you manage yourself with grades, social life, and extracurricular activities. I
talked to a few senior students to figure out what there take was on being a student athlete and
how they handled it.

Julianna Defalco, who plays lacrosse said that having sports allows her to
have a more structured schedule. She is able to manage her time and figure out what it is she is
need to do.

Chloe Southard, a swimmer said to be a student athlete you have to be really good
at time management.“ When you get assigned stuff make sure you do it right away and have a
planner and pay attention to detail”.

Rhys Suter says he has to have no distractions when you get
home from football practice. “There is no time to mess around, you have to get straight to work
and no procrastination”.

Colby Francfort said with baseball he had to sometimes sacrifice his
sleep schedule and stay up later on days he had games. “Make sure you are prepared. Every
semester I make sure my classes are balanced so that my schedule is something I know I can
handle”.

Erica Belson, a multi sport athlete, said that “the biggest thing about doing multiple sports
along with school, work, and other things is just knowing your schedule and what things you
need to do when trying to stay ahead so you don’t have to do a million things a day and also a
mix of getting a good amount of sleep to have energy for these things.” As a student athlete
myself, I use a planner and I certainly do abide by these tips. It’s important to enjoy what you do
but also stay on top of your work and not slack off during the school year. These things set us up
to learn basic time management skills that will help us in the near future.

About the Contributor
Maddy Clarke, Staff Writer

Madysen Clarke is a senior this year. She’s also called by her nickname, Maddy. She is very active and enjoys dancing during school and rowing outside of school. Maddy’s favorite colors are light blue and pink. Her friends describe her as being very organized, friendly, and funny. When she’s not hanging out with her friends, she likes listening to Bazzi in her free time and her favorite show is The Bachelorette. This past summer she went to Europe and explored the gorgeous countrysides of France and Ireland. Maddy’s looking forward to enjoying her final year of high school by participating in all the cool senior activities that Green Hope offers.