Star Wars Slowdown

Bob+Iger
Back to Article
Back to Article

Star Wars Slowdown

Bob Iger

Bob Iger

Wiki Commons

Bob Iger

Wiki Commons

Wiki Commons

Bob Iger

Alex Price, Staff Writer

The CEO of Disney recently stated that the release of the Star Wars movies was going to be slowed down and took the blame for how quickly the movies have been released since 2015. This is the best course of action for the Star Wars franchise and Disney in general given the fact that Disney also releases two or three Marvel movies a year and eventually nerds will run out of money to spend or just get bored of it all. While the excitement of the return of Star Wars has been enough to break records repeatedly over the last three years, that excitement seems to have been slowed by the release of Solo.

People love Star Wars, that’s undeniable. Adjusted for inflation, both A New Hope and The Force Awakens made over a billion dollars, and the third highest grossing after being adjusted for inflation was The Phantom Menace. This shows how excited people get for a new Star Wars trilogy and also that time can pass before the release of a new film. However with 4 films having been released in the last 3 years, it’s evident that more is not better. Solo grossed the least money of any Star Wars movies in the last 30 years.

Compared to almost every other movie release, Star Wars will always thrive. As a franchise, Star Wars has made and continues to make so much money, it’s unfathomable. Seeing $200,000 as a failure seems silly, but that was Star Wars’ biggest flop. Unfortunately, casual fans will continue to stop seeing the movies at the current rate of release, so Disney is making a good decision by slowing down the release of their movies.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and...