Announcements 9/25

Daily Fun Fact: In Switzerland, it is illegal to own a guinea pig.

ATTENTION FRESHMEN:

All freshmen interested in student council…there is a mandatory meeting Thursday, Sept 27 during lunch in 3310.

Seniors vote for superlatives here ~ must use your student email

FALCON FORTUNES

PSAT TEST: The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered on Wednesday, October 10th from 7:25-11:45 am. Only students who have already registered will take the PSAT. There is no make-up day. Students taking the PSAT must remember to bring two No. 2 pencils and an approved calculator on test day. The school does NOT provide calculators. For more information: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests

Career Development: The ASVAB (military entrance exam) will be given at GHHS on 10/17/18. 10th – 12th graders may take the exam for free. If you plan to join the military after high school you must take this exam, but taking the exam does not obligate you to join the military. Sign up in Student Services until 10/05/18. For more information, see Ms. Barone in room 2203.

Career Development: Are you thinking about a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering? If so, you may want to participate in the ACE Mentor program, a multi-month mentor program in which students work in teams with professionals from the fields. To learn more, and possibly apply, visit this website: http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/. The deadline to apply is 10/31/18, but slots fill up, so apply soon! See Ms. Barone in 2203 with questions.

Career Development:  On Tuesday, September 25th during A lunch in the Auditorium students are invited to attend a Career Conversation on Careers at the YMCA. Jeanette White of the NW Cary Y will speak to students. This may be of special interest to students who like sports and may have wondered about how they can use their love of sports as a career. Questions should be directed to Ms. Barone in room 2203.

Career Development: Career-Related Remind Group Students are invited to join Ms. Barone’s Remind group to receive text notices about the following: – Career Conversations – Career Events – Internships – Summer Programs – Leadership Opportunities – Part Time Jobs To get reminders, complete one of the following: •Text @9k3ce to the number 81010 •Or via internet: go to rmd.at/9k3ce •Or on your phone’s web browser type in rmd.at/9k3ce See Ms. Barone in room 2203 with any questions.

Club announcements

Rotary Interact: Rotary is an organization for students who want to take action to create lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves. There will be opportunities to volunteer, lead service projects, and much more! Come to the interest meeting on Thursday, September 27th in Mod 2 Room 3. The meeting will start at the beginning of lunch and refreshments will be provided. For more information, check out our website: https://greenhoperotary.wixsite.com/interact

Naturalist Club (not yet made, needs members): Explore Nature with the Naturalist Club! In this club, we will explore the Green Hope wetland, photograph interesting wildlife, and submit pictures to the iNaturalist citizen science project! Meetings will be after school on the third Friday of every month. To join, sign your name on one of the sign-up sheets posted on the boards in Rooms M3-04, M3-07, 200, 316, 3304, or 3322. For further questions, contact Ashwin Srinivasan at amsrinivasan@students.wcpss.net.

Badminton Club: Badminton Club Interest Meeting – Come join us this Friday, September 28th in room 3218 for A lunch if you’re interested in joining Badminton Club. Players of all levels are invited to join, all we ask is that you have an open mind and an interest in the sport of badminton.

Mock Trial Society: Interested in Law? Debate? Writing? Come join the Mock Trial Society! Interest meeting for new members will be Wednesday, September 26th during the second half of lunch. Meet us in Mod 2 Room 3 to learn more! For information contact us at schaturvedi@students.wcpss.net

Youth and Government: Youth and Government will be having their second meeting first half on Tuesday, September 25th in room 2318. If you are interested in government, public speaking, writing, or simply learning more feel free to come! If you have any questions please contact me at alishadhar01@gmail.com

Green Hope National English Honor Society: Do you love and excel in literature and writing in the English Language? If you fit this description, come to the interest meeting for the GH Dead Poets Society Chapter of the National English Honor Society and apply! The interest meeting will be on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018 during B-Lunch in Room 3206. Please email the president, Pauline Etchi, at greenhopenehs@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns. SEE YOU THERE!

Carolina For The Kids: Hey Green Hope students! We are introducing a new club called Carolina For The Kids. This is an interactive service club where students work with the UNC Children’s Hospital and provide emotional and financial support to the children there. Students will be given the opportunity to work with the children in person and build leadership skills in the real world. To learn more about the club, come to the interest meeting on Tuesday, September 25th in trailer 5 during A lunch. Please note the date change!!

Spanish Honor Society: Our meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday, September 26th at 2:30 after school in Mod 1 Room 11. We will cover how to obtain hours and events as well as how to access our new website. This meeting is for CURRENT MEMBERS ONLY. New member applications will be available in the spring. Thank you!

Student Services: The following Colleges will be visiting Green Hope this week: Roanoke College, Butler Univ., Bates College, High Point Univ., Queens Univ. in Charlotte, Univ. of S. Carolina Columbia, Radford Univ., Wake Forest Univ., Duke Univ. Please sign up in Student Services before school, during lunch or after school if you’d like to attend one of these meetings.

Ultimate Frisbee: Green Hope girls’ ultimate frisbee team is looking for girls who want to try the fun sport of ultimate frisbee! Absolutely no experience is necessary to play with us. We practice 1-2 times a week, in addition to playing in games and tournaments. Email tomcaptains@googlegroups.com if you’re interested in more information.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/