Wake County Cup Finals Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wake County Cup Finals Preview

Sean Hayes

Sean Hayes

Sean Hayes

Patrick Dunn, Sports Writer

On Saturday, September 22, the Green Hope Falcons will take on the Apex Friendship Patriots at Cardinal Gibbons for the Wake County Cup title.
The Patriots finished their pool play 2-0 after wins over Heritage and Millbrook. In those two games, the Patriots put up an impressive 10 goals. Apex Friendship is currently riding a six game winning streak, including a tough 1-0 victory over Leesville Road. The Patriots leading scorer is Jonathan Lanza, who has scored 9 goals so far.
In pool play, the Falcons finished 2-1, with wins over Apex High School and last year’s state champion Cardinal Gibbons. The Falcons’ only loss this season came to Wakefield by a score of 2-1. “I think we were off our game. We didn’t come out ready to play, and we were not mentally prepared. But in our other Wake County cup games we played really well.” said Senior Jake Giacona, who has 1 goal and 2 assists on the season. The Falcons are led by Dylan Enseling with 6 goals this season.
Both teams won their most recent game 6-0. Apex Friendship beat Apex on September 12th and Green Hope beat Corinth Holders on the 4th. Winning the Wake County Cup final could have huge implications for these two teams. The last two winners of the Wake County Cup went on to win the North Carolina 4A State Championship, Green Hope in 2016 and Cardinal Gibbons in 2017. This could likely be the case again in 2018, with both teams ranked in the top 20 in the state. Giacona said, “I’m excited, Friendship is a good team. I think we’ve been practicing well and it’s starting to show in game. If we play like we know we can then we shouldn’t have a problem.” Be sure to show up and show your support for the Falcons on Saturday at 7 pm!

Patrick Dunn, Staff Writer

Patrick Dunn, a native North Carolinian, is a staff member of Falcon News Feed. Patrick is a senior and represents Green Hope by running on the cross country...