Just Another Pawn In The Chess Game

Uma Bhat, Staff Writer

Washington D.C. is a circus; its inhabitants prance on thin lines, managing balancing acts and saving themselves last second. The donkeys dabble in brawls with the elephants, and what were once parades have turned into pandemoniums. Mass chaos has already erupted: it is only a matter of time before the carnival that consists of our elected representatives becomes a lost cause.

On September 6th, 2018, The New York Times, in a rare step, released an anonymous Op-Ed piece by a Senior Official in the Trump Administration.

“That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.” The author states. “The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.

And while it is somewhat reassuring to hear that D.C. has “adults in the room,” the inevitable truth of the matter- for Republicans and Democrats alike- is that the United States is falling into a downward spiral of methane emissions, strained international ties, what seems like a never-ending roll-out of sanctions, and perhaps even trade war. Even a “booming economy” can’t make up for that.

The past week alone has seen multiple fires spark along partisan lines, primarily over the vetting process of prospective Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh is an “ideal” conservative: he’s anti-abortion, a man of faith, and values family. However, what’s particularly concerning about his candidacy is not quite his personal beliefs themselves- it is the intention with which he was chosen by Trump as a contender to fill the missing SCOTUS spot, and the ways in which his role might benefit the President.

Kavanaugh, the second Supreme Court Justice candidate to be nominated by Trump, was introduced soon after his statements regarding his opinion that a President should not be impeached during his or her time in office.

In 1998, Kavanaugh wrote extensively on the matter of impeaching a president, writing that independent counsel investigations can take “too long,” easily become “politicized,” and investigations can go beyond their original scope. He also seemed unconvinced that a president can even be indicted while in office.” Says a Business Insider article. “Whether the Constitution allows indictment of a sitting President is debatable.”

Trump has shown an increasing preference for the ways of autocratic leaders such as Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-Un over the span of his nearly two-years as President, and following these trends, would clearly benefit from the placement of a Supreme Court Justice that would thwart plans of impeachment- especially because of Democrats’ piqued interest in use of the 25th Amendment.

Democrats in Senate, most notably Sen. Kamala Harris and others from the “Hell-No Caucus” are showing their best effort in holding off the vetting of Kavanaugh, primarily in response to a massive document dump regarding Kavanaugh’s affairs. Protesters have even begun shouting at Republican vetters in desperation– one group wore “I’m What’s At Stake” t-shirts, while others screamed messages telling senators that electing Kavanaugh was not a reflection of their choices.

However, even with protestors and Democrats attempts to delay the election, it is unclear whether their furious opposition will be enough to combat a largely Red Senate majority; unless the midterm elections this year switch out most Republican Senators for Democratic ones, a conservative agenda will be pushed forward. Because of this, it is even more important for all those opposed to Trump’s actions thus-far to vote in these upcoming elections- not simply to take back the house, but in order to make the country less polarized and hostile.

In addition to exercising a right to vote that combats Trump policies that are so fervently despised, even within his own administration, citizens can support anti-corruption bills like the one proposed by Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, and email their own senators to outright oppose policies. It’s time for all those who participate in our democracy to take back control of the government and truly make it “By the People, For The People”.

_

Raina Lee, J.C.P., will be hosting a voter registration drive later this year. If you have any questions about voting, regardless of your party, make sure to check with her!

Uma Bhat, Staff Writer

A passionate journalist, Uma Bhat, Class of 2021, feels right at home at The GH Falcon. She plans on using her experience from writing for a magazine, as well as her many connections throughout Green Hope, to report on local news, school news, and write editorials. Uma is involved at school as the Director of Simulations in Green Hope’s Model UN, and has leadership positions in clubs such as Badminton and Creative Writing. In her freetime she enjoys reading and listening to bands such as Panic! At The Disco – whom she saw live this past summer. After graduating high school she seeks to pursue a career in Journalism and Social Justice