Green Hope’s Green Thumb

Anna Dunn and Kaia Patel

The Green Hope garden was built last year by Kaleigh Ault, a junior at Green Hope, as part of her Gold Award for Girl Scouts. This is Green Hope’s first on-campus garden and has many weekend volunteer opportunities to work on the garden here at school.  Our garden is apart of Green Hope’s chapter of Food Ark. The garden is located at the back of the school, outside the band room, hidden in the back corner by the fence and sheds. Come check it out!

The Food Ark is a student-run, nonprofit organization that has a club chapter at Green Hope and they focus on helping alleviate food insecurity as much as they can.  The Green Hope chapter has volunteer opportunities at Brown Bag Ministries, Oak City Outreach, and of course, Green Hope’s very own garden. Club members plant, harvest, and donate all the crops themselves. This garden has allowed the GHHS members to gain experience with growing food, gardening, and food distribution that advance the efforts to end food insecurity.

Food Ark is a local organization run by an NCState student group and has many chapters at high schools all around the triangle area. More than 400 students are involved in this organization by helping our community grow. Businesses such as Homewood Nursery and Garden Center, Oak City Outreach, and Alliance Medical Ministry, are starting to reach out to Food Ark and get involved in this growing program.

The garden produces over 20 types of fruits and vegetables over the year, including kale, onion, parsley, garlic, pumpkins, tomatoes, and squash. The produce is donated to Dorcas Ministries and they use it in their food bank for the community.

Join Food Ark at Green Hope today to become involved in our school and community!  You can join by emailing Food Ark at thefoodark@gmail.com  

About the Contributors
Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Anna is a Junior and she is on the lacrosse team. She is funny but quiet and her favorite color is green. Anna likes to travel. She visited Argentina and Uruguay this past summer. She is also in the process of getting her Irish citizenship. Her favorite season is fall because the weather is nice and the trees look pretty.  Rocky, is the name of her dog which was named after The Rock, but she doesn’t like him very much.

She enjoys eating chocolate ice cream and her favorite subject is Spanish.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!