Teacher Feature- Goodbye, Mr. Greenblatt!

Hannah McCarron, Staff Writer

We all know and love our Green Hope teachers, but there is always more we can learn about them. Our faculty has so many funny and interesting stories worth sharing. This week, Mr. Greenblatt, a beloved social studies teacher will sadly be leaving our school, so let’s us know more about him.

When did you decide you wanted to be a teacher?

Mr. Greenblatt: Originally it was not my plan to become a teacher.  I wanted to get PHD in history and become a professor. I was getting my graduate degree and they had me going through archives and confusing film reels which was just too boring but eventually I was a teaching assistant and it was there I realized I had a love for being interactive with students and teaching a classroom.

If you could have any other job in the world what would it be?

Mr. Greenblatt: As a serious job I would probably say a Senator, but for a funny dream job I would love to be a judge on America’s Next Top Model.

Where are you going & why?

Mr. Greenblatt: It was not my plan to leave Green Hope this year but at my old high school in Michigan, a history teacher quit there the first day of school and they asked me to take his job,  I couldn’t miss the opportunity to go back to Michigan and my old high school.

What is your favorite class you have taught at GHHS and why?

Mr. Greenblatt: I really enjoy teaching APHUGE because we get to go over a lot of things but my APUSH class these past two weeks has been really fun because it’s not just me going over notes and there’s a lot more student input.

What are you going to miss the most about Green Hope?

Mr. Greenblatt: I going to miss the sixteen repeat students I have had this year the most, they are some of the most interesting people I have ever met and the only reason I feel bad about leaving. Coworkers like Aymes, Pyland, and Rees also make me so sad to leave.

What will you not miss about Green Hope?

Mr. Greenblatt: The massive paperwork and having tutorials.

What is your proudest moment being a GHHS teacher?

Mr. Greenblatt: The best moment is when students come back and say something in class impacted their life outside of school. One kid came back from a trip to Asia and told me about rice patties he saw that reminded him of what he had learned in Human Geography.

What is the funniest story you have from teaching here?

Mr. Greenblatt: I was teaching an English class and I assigned the kids to rewrite Julius Caesar and then act it out and they were doing it like, in space, it was really funny.

What is the most creative excuse you have ever gotten from a student?

Mr. Greenblatt: One kid came in and said they had a flight a few days earlier and that their mom wanted to them to rest so he told me he couldn’t come to my class because he was sleeping.

What’s your favorite high school memory?

Mr. Greenblatt: I did yearbook in high school which was a lot of fun. I’d be able to get out of class and take pictures and interview people and the kids kind of got to run the class… so it was crazy but tons of fun.

What message do you have for your students before you go?

Mr. Greenblatt: Stop worrying so much, I know this year is hard but there are some things you have to let go and let it happen.

Mr. Greenblatt will be deeply missed by both students and faculty here at Green Hope. We wish him the best in Michigan and hope he comes back to visit his Green Hope family in the future. Thank you, Mr. Greenblatt!

About the Contributor
Hannah McCarron, Staff Writer

Hannah is a Junior and this is her first year of the staff of The Falcon. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with her friends and traveling the world. Her dream country to travel to is Greece, because of its crystal waters and beautiful scenery. This summer she worked as a lifeguard at Brookstone. She also went to the beach with her friends. While she was at the beach this summer she got to see her favorite animal a sea turtle. This was really exciting for her! For her junior year she is most excited for Homecoming in the Fall and Prom in the Spring. She is a very kind and funny person, who has a fear of birds. Her favorite color is yellow.