Eminem’s Kamikaze Review

Eminem in his

Eminem in his "Fall" music video from his album Kamikaze.

Rap-Up/Music Video

Rap-Up/Music Video

Alex Price, Staff Writer

After four years without releasing an album, Eminem has now dropped two in the last eight months. After serious critique and backlash following the release of Revival, Eminem fired back with Kamikaze, an album taking aim at “new-age” rappers and people that dissed Revival. This theme is most prominent in the intro song, “The Ringer”, in which he calls out Lil Yachty, Lil Xan, Lil Pump and says that nobody in the current rap game is safe. This theme is continued in the songs “Not Alike”, “Kamikaze”, and “Fall”. Overall, the album is a good comeback to an album that, maybe unfairly, was treated as a failure.

While he took aim at most hip hop artists, there were two that he decided to feature on the album. In the song “Lucky You”, Joyner Lucas delivered a guest verse. The song showed two seperate perspectives, Joyner’s perspective as an up and coming artist that will “go down as the underdog that never lost hope” and Em’s perspective as “the one that was here before you”. This was a really good first collaboration between the two. “Not Alike” is a collaboration between the on and off group, Bad Meets Evil, and the song was mocking “Look Alive” with a very similar beat. The song followed their most recent collaboration “Caterpillar” and Em used “Not Alike” to diss Machine Gun Kelly and Migos.

While this album was a good comeback from an album more hated than anything Eminem has ever released, it wasn’t without its setbacks. Throughout the album, Em tries to mimic various flows that are now commonplace in hip hop, but he only proves himself right. He says how bad the flows that are used today are, “I hate this choppy flow, everyone copies though,” but when he uses them they aren’t any better. The hooks in most of the songs were not very good either. There wasn’t a single hook on Kamikaze that was a good hook. Another thing that wasn’t particularly good was that the album strayed a little bit from the main theme. Obviously not every song can be about the same thing, but Kamikaze had a very clear theme and songs like “Normal” and “Good Guy”, which discuss relationship problems don’t really fit into this album.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”