JV Lives Matter

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

American high schools value their athletic teams greatly. There’s so many feel good movies about a high school’s varsity football team overcoming diversity and thriving together as a team; or a varsity volleyball team winning a state championship when no-one thought they would ever win a game. With all of these high school teams coming up in our everyday lives, has anyone stopped to wonder about the just as important, slightly less experienced, junior varsity teams throughout the american high schools? There are hundreds of other athletes that work hard everyday, and win countless number of games but don’t get the recognition of being a successful high school team that they deserve.

Junior Varsity (JV) teams at the high schools are essentially used for the younger students to get a feel for the high school athletic system and sport. After one or two years on JV, if the athletes are skilled enough and ready, they move up to the Varsity team of their chosen sport. Many of the teams get treated slightly differently depending on whether they consist of Varsity or JV athletes. It’s not the students fault they were born when they were, or can’t score fifty layups in a row, but these teens are still athletes and earned their spot on the school team. There shouldn’t be distinguished differences between the two teams of the same sports, whether the students are playing against fourteen year old freshmen, or eighteen year seniors.

Now it’s not like the Junior Varsity athletes get bullied or anything like that, however there’s small little occurrences every so often that make the players feel underappreciated. For example in women’s lacrosse, the varsity girls received practice pennies, and the JV girls did not. The varsity team also had the national anthem played to start off their games and had their names announced for the starting lineup. Some of you may be thinking that’s not a big deal, but the little things start adding up and there’s a saying now in the athletic community, “JV lives matter.” In most sports as well, whenever the teams need new uniforms the varsity players get the joy of wearing brand new uniforms, whilst the JV athletes get to just wear the old ones and hope in a couple years they’ll be able to wear the almost- brand new varsity uniforms.

The athletes playing for the Junior Varsity high school teams will soon advance to be the admired varsity athletes of the school. Fair treatment among the students athletes shouldn’t be that hard to ask for. Obviously there should be some special perks to being on varsity but sometimes it seems like the JV players are just forgotten. The students made their respective teams for a reason however whether one is on the loved Varsity team or not they’re still students athletes and next time you see someone representing their school sport always remember; JV lives matter.

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer
Kiera Kofkin-Hansen is a sophomore, and this is her first year taking Falcon News Feed. She took this class because she enjoys writing and English, and her sister, Shea, liked the class and recommended it. Kiera is excited for sophomore year because she now knows her way around Green Hope but has not yet reached...