SWAC Track & Field Championships

April 24, 2015

The Southwest Wake Athletic Conference Track and Field Championships took place at Green Hope on Tuesday, April 21st and Wednesday, April 22nd. The events on Tuesday included the 4×800 relay, 100 dash, 100/110 hurdles, 1600, 300 hurdles, 4×200 relay, boys long jump, girls high jump, boys shot put, and girls discus. On the first day of competition, individual champions included junior Elly Henes in the 1600 and sophomore Will Hoffman in the 300 hurdles. Danyel de Souza placed third in the 300 hurdles. The boys 4×200 relay set a new school record, and the girls 4×200 relay placed third. Freshmen Lily Redick and Lily Zeller both moved up from their seeds in the high jump, placing fourth and fifth, respectively.

CDOkIguVAAEk8yD

Girls 4 x 100 relay finished first place at the SWAC Championship. Left to right: Natalie Richards, Danyel de Souza, Carmen Curtis and Paige West.

The second day of competition was even more impressive for the Falcons. Conference champions included the girls 4×100 relay, Henes in the 3200, and the boys 4×400 relay. The SWAC runners-up were Kwabena Sarpong in the 200, Hoffman in the 400, the boys 4×100 relay, and the girls 4×400 relay. Henry Pehr had a very impressive meet, placing second in the 1600 and winning the 800. Pehr followed the path of his older brother Brad, the conference champion in the 800 last year. After being asked about his 800, Pehr quoted elite distance runner Dario Diaz, reciting his favorite quote –  “There is no time out, no half-time, no substitutions- you go out there and you race. It’s on you and you don’t stop ‘til it’s over. There’s some guy next to you who wants it just as bad. It equips you with mental toughness, tenacity.”

CDSFnghW0AA_1Ma

SWAC CO-MVP’s Apex’s Tyler Cook(left) and Green Hope’s Will Hoffmann(right).

The girls team placed third overall, losing only to Cary and Apex. The boys team was SWAC runner-up behind Apex. Will Hoffman was the co-mvp of the meet, sharing the title with Holly Springs’ high-jumper Jordan Brown. Those who met certain standards will compete at the NCHSAA 4A Mideast Regionals on May 2nd. Athletes placing in the top four at the regional meet will advance to the state championships the following weekend.