Solo Flops

Alex Price, Staff Writer

While $103 million is a lot of money, when it comes to Star Wars, $103 million is considered the worst failure in the franchise’s history. Solo: A Star Wars Story was projected to have the biggest Memorial Day opening ever, however, it came up short in many people’s eyes. Even though it had the worst opening weekend of any Star Wars movie, aside from The Clone Wars, it made enough to top the weekend. It was followed by Deadpool 2 at #2, which made $55 million. Avengers: Infinity War came in third, making just over $21 million. Rounding off the top five were Book Club and Life of the Party, making $12.5 million and $7 million respectively.

Solo didn’t have the biggest Memorial Day opening ever. It wasn’t even in the top five. In fact, it was #7 on the list of biggest Memorial Day openers. It was about $40 million away from being #1. Despite the fact that people are acting like this is the end of Star Wars and Disney is going to drop the Star Wars name completely and never pick it back up, having the seventh biggest opening on the holiday that starts the summer is no small feat. And while $103 million isn’t the number Disney was looking for, it was one weekend. Solo will make more money and when it’s all said and done, Disney will move on and keep making Star Wars movies until people run out of money to pay for them.

Despite the “failure” that this weekend was in the box office, it still made $44 million more than Memorial Day weekend made last year. Last year, the weekend saw the debut of the most recent installment of Pirates of the Caribbean as well as the debut of the reboot of the TV show Baywatch.

There are three new movies releasing this weekend. Action Point is a comedy about a daredevil who starts his own theme park. It stars Johnny Knoxville. Adrift is the true story of a young couple who have to fight together for their survival against a hurricane. It stars Shailene Woodley and Sam Claflin. Upgrade is an action comedy about a man who must use technology to have his revenge. It stars Logan Marshall-Green.