The Truth About Healthy Food

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

There are several myths that we are told about healthy food that may have altered our view on it, such as healthy food being too expensive or that healthy recipes take too much time to make. However, these are false! Here are some debunked myths that will tell you the reality about food.

Myth: As a high schooler, we don’t get to eat many healthy things because they can be expensive.

Busted!: Many fruits and veggies are at a very accessible price, especially during the season when that food is being produced. For example, early summer is great for strawberries, so be sure to stock up!

Myth: Making healthy food takes a lot of time.

Busted!: There are millions of options for healthy food that you can make under thirty minutes- or you can make it in advance and store it in your fridge! Try spaghetti squash, like the one in the picture, for a quick meal!

Myth: Eggs are bad for your heart.

Busted!: If you limit your intake of eggs to about one day, you will be completely fine. Try not to eat more than three eggs a day, but don’t fret about the cholesterol; trans and saturated fats are the real culprits of heart disease.

Myth: You should avoid gluten.

Busted!: You should only avoid gluten if you are, indeed, gluten intolerant. Otherwise, there is no reason to as the only reason people avoid is because they can’t digest it, but if you’re not intolerant, it is perfectly digestible to you. Plus, gluten-containing products are usually high in fiber!

Myth: You crave certain foods because you’re deficient in one of the nutrients they provide.

Busted!: Unless you’re a deer or moose, who are attracted to salt licks, the only reason you have cravings is to satisfy your emotional needs. Marcia Pelchat, a researcher at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, says, “Cravings tend to occur when your diet is restricted or boring, or when you know that you can’t have something.”

On a side note, if you are craving things such as ice and clay, you may have a deficiency in iron.

Myth: Fasting periodically helps detoxify your body.

Busted!: There is no clear evidence that a juice cleanse or the equivalent does drastic things to your body. The spleen, liver, and kidney already detoxify your body on a daily basis.

Myth: Carbonated drinks are bad for you.

Busted!: Sodium-free seltzer is a great thirst quencher and quite tasty. Soda, on the other hand, should be avoided due to the high amount of sugar.

Myth: Eating lettuce is healthy.

Busted!: If the one vegetable you ate today is lettuce, you didn’t really eat healthily. Lettuce is essentially all water with very few nutrients. If you need a crunch, eat lettuce, but you should be opting for darker greens such as spinach, kale, and arugula.

Myth: Eating fat will make you fat.

Busted!: It depends on the fat that you’re eating. If it’s saturated fat, which is found in fast food restaurants and fried/packaged foods, then it is. If it’s monounsaturated fat, such as the one found in avocado and olive oil, it will actually help improve your cardiovascular health.

Myth: Artificial sweeteners are good for weight loss.

Busted!: Artificial sweeteners are actually worse for your health than real sugar. Aspartame, an ingredient in the sweetener, causes your body to crave even more, causing weight gain, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Myth: Milk is the best source of calcium.

Busted!: Although milk does have a large amount of calcium, there are plenty of other things with it. Dark leafy greens, almonds, and salmon contain high numbers of calcium, so you should incorporate more of them into your meals.

Here are some tips to eat healthier!

• When snacking, go for unsalted nuts. You may not notice, but when you snack on salted nuts, the sodium your body is taking in is really high and may lead to future problems.
    • Eat foods high in fiber. Chick-fil-A burger buns are unfortunately not high in fiber, even if it is bread. Opt for oatmeal and cooked grains such as amaranth and bulgur. They are super cheap and last a really long time.
    • Avoid nut/soy milk. Since they are not really milk, there are lots of additives in them. Check the ingredients next time and make sure there’s few to no additives. Also, soy milk contains estrogen and drinking it frequently may lead to hormonal problems.
    • Drink loose-leaf tea. Packaged tea contains a paper packaging that has undergone a chemical process to stop the package from dissolving in the hot water. Loose-leaf tea has tons of benefits, such as increasing your metabolism and doesn’t add extra chemicals to your body.
    • Take food off of places that are in eyesight or are easily reachable. Sometimes, we eat food just because it was right in front of us. By removing things that are within your reach, you are preventing random snacking.
    • Be busy! Cravings usually come when you’re bored, so by being involved in the community, you stop yourself from bored eating.
    • Eat honey. Honey is a natural sweetener that is often forgotten about. Go for the raw and unprocessed honeys. They are also antibacterial and can help heal your throat when you are sick!
    • Put snacks from big bags like chips and popcorn into a smaller sized bowl before you start eating. This way, you control your portion size and don’t eat the whole bag in one sitting.

By using these tips, you can eat healthier without drastically changing your diet. Just remember to limit the number of times you eat out in a week to no more than three times, but preferably no times. You can do this!

About the Contributor
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.