Germany Bans Older Cars From City

CarThrottle

CarThrottle

Noa Lawrence and Bradley Stewart

Over the past few years, countries from all over Europe have been discussing ideas on how to limit pollution and gas consumption in their most populated cities. This has led to a number of regulations that aims to decrease car emissions. Over the past few weeks, Germany has begun to implement their plan to limit the number of older diesel vehicles in Hamburg.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/1000/0/uploads/posts/2018/05/fa15383a9ca88cca482ba6a9d7df45b4.jpg

Germany’s highest court approved this action, giving Hamburg the go-ahead to proceed with their plan. In order to educate citizens about this development, around 100 signs were put up throughout the city in order to tell diesel vehicle drivers to divert away from two key streets. The two streets that diesel drivers are told to avoid have high pollution rates and are highly populated with pedestrians.

Authorities in Hamburg are still waiting for the legal ruling that will tell them whether or not the ban can include only Euro-4 standard diesels from 2009 and earlier, or to Euro 5 cars built as recently as 2014.  The plan was approved in February and granted appropriate powers to all German city councils if they want to impose the plans. Critics say that blocking certain streets will just force drivers of more polluting cars to drive longer distances around the city because they are avoiding the city center.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/1000/0/uploads/posts/2018/05/54a93d094957ec46d7fbbcd2d9c08fc7.jpg

So what’s the motive behind all of this action? Simply put, Germany is being fined because of its high pollution rate. In order to decrease its fines, Germany has been advised by experts to limit the number of diesel cars in city centers. So far, this development has done its job by limiting pollution and also has caused the amount of monthly diesel vehicle sales to drop by 25%.

About the Writers
Noa Lawrence, Staff Writer

Senior Noa is a staff writer for Falcon News Feed, and enjoys working on his car and being outdoors. His worst nightmare is his car being stolen.

Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball.  I enjoy watching and playing basketball, football, and golf.  My favorite sports teams are the Steelers and Duke.