Will the Loch Ness Monster Mystery be Solved?

BBC newsbeat

BBC newsbeat

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

The legend of the Loch Ness monster has been around for many years, but people are still unsure of what was really in the water.

The mystery may not remain for long. A scientist from Wellington, New Zealand is planning on taking a team of researchers to the lake in Scotland to collect DNA samples from the water to determine what species live there.

Neil Gemmell, a professor at the University of Otago, does not believe in the Loch Ness monster, but he still thinks the research will be an adventure and will communicate science along the way.  

Despite the non-believers, there are several theories, such as one that hypothesizes “Nessie” being a long-necked plesiosaur that somehow survived the time when dinosaurs went extinct.

Another theory is that the monster could actually be a sturgeon or a giant catfish. More popularly, many believe that the photo was a hoax and was created by floating logs or strong winds.

Gemmell’s team will take 300 DNA samples from around the lake at varying depths in the water. It is possible to get the creature’s DNA because it may have left traces of feathers, scales, or urine in the water. They will filter the water and extract the DNA.

He says that the DNA results will go into a database that shows known species, and adds that in reality, the study will probably get a nice survey of the biodiversity in the Loch Ness.

If Gemmell doesn’t find anything, believers have already offered alternatives. They say that Nessie may be going on vacation after swimming to the sea via underwater caves.

The results should be out by the end of the year and maybe we will discover the true story of the Loch Ness monster…

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.