IKEA Is Not Coming to Cary

Back to Article
Back to Article

IKEA Is Not Coming to Cary

Ben Carawan, News Editor

After months of anticipation for a new IKEA being built at Cary’s Cary Towne Center, the Swedish furniture maker announced that they are not placing a location in the town after all, despite the fact that they gained approval from the Town of Cary. Sean R. Stegall, town manager for the Town of Cary, tweeted Wednesday that because of IKEA’s new and evolving business model, IKEA will not be building a store in Cary. The sudden and unexpected change occurs just as IKEA is pushing for more of an online appearance and creating new markets, such as India and South America. The company is also looking into building smaller stores in larger cities. Cary is “too suburban” for IKEA’s new business model.

Another thing the town manager included was that it gives CBL and Associates, the owner of Cary Towne Center, an excellent opportunity to plan new spaces and give the mall a better future. There is nothing the town could do to influence the company’s decision; not even an incentive would help. The mall, as it is currently, has been rapidly decreasing in popularity and only has a limited number of stores left. With the construction of the Eastern Cary Gateway taking place very soon nearby, it is about time CBL and Associates does something to revitalize the area. Two of the mall’s largest stores, Sears and Macy’s, left over two years ago. IKEA was going to replace those stores and help the aging mall. It was built in 1979.

The Cary IKEA was going to be both one of the most controversial and one of the most innovative developments in the town. It was inevitably going to cause many more people to travel to Cary and affect traffic. The store construction was going to be completed by 2019 and would have opened in 2020. Originally, the store was going to be 360,000 square feet and have over 900 parking spaces in a parking garage. It would have cost up to 80 million dollars for the development of the store. The current closest IKEA is in Charlotte, North Carolina and is over two hours away from Green Hope High School.

While some people are obviously very disappointed by this news, there are many other people who did not want the store built in the first place. However, there are many other developments that are taking place nearby, including several near the towns of Cary and Morrisville and the township of Carpenter.

All images associated with this article are courtesy of IKEA.

Ben Carawan, News Editor

This Ben's second year as a member of the Falcon News Feed. He is a member of an ever-decreasing population of people who have of lived in Cary their whole...