Manchester Terrorist Attack Anniversary

Tributes for the victims of the Manchester Attack that people left in St. Ann’s Square.

Jeff J. Mitchell/Getty Images

Jeff J. Mitchell/Getty Images

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

May 22nd, 2018 marks the one year anniversary of the Manchester terrorist attack that occurred in Manchester, UK. On this day, 22 people died from a terrorist suicide bomber, at an Ariana Grande concert. Thousands of others fled from Manchester Arena on May 22nd, 2017 as the suicide bomber carried out the attack.

Ariana Grande tweeted a message on Twitter, “Thinking of you all today and every day. I love with all of me and am sending you all of the light and warmth I have to offer on this challenging day.” Following the bombing, Grande visited the injured in the hospital. Two weeks later, she went back to Manchester and hosted a fundraiser concert for the victims, with other singers such as Justin Bieber, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus participating as well.

The city of Manchester will remember the day with a memorial service for the victims at the city’s cathedral. UK Prime Minister Theresa May and the Duke of Cambridge, Prince William will be in attendance along with the families of the victims and the injured.

There will also be a musical tribute in the evening, consisting of nearly 3,000 singers from local choirs. One of the groups performing, the Manchester Survivors Choir, will be made up of the survivors of the attack.