It Happened. Again.

Peyton Barish, Senior Staff Writer

It happened. Again.

I did not think I would be writing those words 3 months after Parkland, but here we are mourning another 10 victims, another 10 individuals who lost their lives in a place that people would have deemed safe 25 years ago.  Across the country, school safety and gun-control have taken center stage in an effort led by the generation that school shootings have come to define. My own.

America is in the midst of yet another civil war.  This one is not the bloody affair of 150 years ago, but one with its own significance nonetheless.  The bloodshed takes place not on a battlefield, but in a classroom. The burden placed not on soldiers, but on students who are now traumatized in the very way the warriors we send to fight are.  Battle after battle is lost to a group of disconnected individuals whose sole goal is to sow terror in every building they step foot in. We promise to change time and again. In the end,  all of it seems hopeless in the face of yet another mass tragedy.

Each time these events occur it seems as though we move further and further apart as a country.”

Americans have a record of coming together in times of chaos, but that unity is so far nowhere to be found.  The common ground that could unite a country divided is hidden beneath the bickering of those too blinded by their own self-righteousness to even see the human on the other side of the argument.  We vilify our neighbors ignoring the fact that those are the very people who want the same thing that we do. Each time these events occur it seems as though we move further and further apart as a country. On the left, the cure is gun control, on the right, it’s a hardening of our schools, more police officers, metal detectors etc.  While all of those views express what should be done to prevent another tragedy from happening, none of them seem to answer the question that has gone unanswered for 20 years. Why?

One side doesn’t have all of the answers, but the competition of ideas that America has always been meant to be is the way to change things.  Civil discourse in the face of an ever-present and ever-growing danger is the only way to solve an issue that affects not only our present but our future. We keep shouting “enough” at our legislators, but it’s only going to be enough when this country comes together as one and says enough.  The revolution does not come from a certain group, not with the divisive nature of politics themselves, but from everyone who goes to school every day fearing for the livelihood of themselves and their peers.

This time enough is enough. Enough of Republicans and Democrats dehumanizing each other. Enough of the NRA being vilified as a group with blood on their hands, they want their children to be safe just like the rest of us. America can only be home to safe schools when it is home to the American Dream, not the American nightmare that our politicians have created trying to score political points.

We are one nation under God, let’s start acting like it.

Peyton Barish, Senior Staff Writer
Peyton Barish is a returning writer for the Falcon News Feed and hopes to do big things.  He dabbles in the sport of long-distance jogging and occasionally plays basketball because it truly is #BucketSZN.  His favorite food is grilled cheese made by the best cook in the world, Mom.  Peyton also owns a labradoodle named...