Kilauea Volcano’s Lava Enters Ocean

BBC

BBC

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

The erupting volcano on Hawaii’s big island has become more hazardous over the past few days. On Sunday, May 20th, 2018 in Pahoa, Hawaii, the lava from the volcano has entered the ocean, which is creating a chemical reaction that is making toxic gas.

The volcano has now been erupting for over two weeks and has destroyed 40 structures, including around 24 homes. Some 2,000 people have evacuated their homes.

An orchid grower who lives about three miles away from where the lava has entered the ocean said he’s lucky that the lava didn’t flow towards him and that residents can’t do much more than stay informed and get out of the way.

Scientists said that the steam clouds that formed where the lava met the ocean are filled with hydrochloric acid and fine glass particles, which can harm the skin and cause breathing problems.

Wendy Stovall, a US Geological Survey scientist, said that the lava haze, or “laze”, that formed from the plume is running parallel to the coast.

The lava flow has gotten faster within the last few days. Scientists explain this is because the lava that has been erupting was leftover magma from a 1955 eruption that was stored underground for the past six decades.

The more recent lava has moved up from the volcano’s eastern flank, magma that sits two or three craters upslope. Since it is newer magma, it is hotter and moves faster.

Scientists are unaware of how the eruption will last. However, it is not affecting most of the Big Island and Hawaii tourism officials assure that the rest of the island is still open for tourism.

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.