Kilauea Volcano’s Lava Enters Ocean

BBC

BBC

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

The erupting volcano on Hawaii’s big island has become more hazardous over the past few days. On Sunday, May 20th, 2018 in Pahoa, Hawaii, the lava from the volcano has entered the ocean, which is creating a chemical reaction that is making toxic gas.

The volcano has now been erupting for over two weeks and has destroyed 40 structures, including around 24 homes. Some 2,000 people have evacuated their homes.

An orchid grower who lives about three miles away from where the lava has entered the ocean said he’s lucky that the lava didn’t flow towards him and that residents can’t do much more than stay informed and get out of the way.

Scientists said that the steam clouds that formed where the lava met the ocean are filled with hydrochloric acid and fine glass particles, which can harm the skin and cause breathing problems.

Wendy Stovall, a US Geological Survey scientist, said that the lava haze, or “laze”, that formed from the plume is running parallel to the coast.

The lava flow has gotten faster within the last few days. Scientists explain this is because the lava that has been erupting was leftover magma from a 1955 eruption that was stored underground for the past six decades.

The more recent lava has moved up from the volcano’s eastern flank, magma that sits two or three craters upslope. Since it is newer magma, it is hotter and moves faster.

Scientists are unaware of how the eruption will last. However, it is not affecting most of the Big Island and Hawaii tourism officials assure that the rest of the island is still open for tourism.

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer
Ideliya is a junior staff writer on Falcon News Feed. She runs on the school’s track team as well as the cross country team. Contrary to many people, she prefers cats more than dogs. She also loves learning languages, figure skating, and jumping on trampolines.