Billboard Music Awards Recap

Billboard Music Awards

Billboard Music Awards

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

On Sunday, May 20th, many of the world’s biggest stars came together for a night of music and awards at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Kelly Clarkson hosted the awards, making this her first appearance as a host for an awards show. Being from Texas, Clarkson took a few minutes at the beginning of the show to discuss the recent school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas. In the light of so many recent tragedies, the night was filled with tears and smiles of hope.

Ariana Grande followed Clarkson’s speech with a performance of her new hit song “No Tears Left to Cry.” This song is all about overcoming tragedy and it is Grande’s first new song since the shooting in Manchester in 2016. Clarkson and Grande were not the only ones to pay tribute to the victims of the Santa Fe shooting.

Shawn Mendes joined Khalid with a special performance of his song “Youth.” The choir from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School joined these two stars in a heartfelt version of this new song.

Another emotional moment occurred when the Chainsmokers and Halsey spoke in remembrance of Avicii while presenting an award. These singers explained the importance of mental health and supporting loved ones. The Chainsmokers later dedicated their award for Top Dance/Electronic Artist to Avicii.

Several other iconic performances occurred throughout the night. Christina Aguilera and Demi Levator performed “Fall in Line” as a message of women’s empowerment. Macklemore and Kesha sang “Good Old Days,” and Maren Morris, Zedd, and Grey came together for the first time to sing “The Middle.” Camila Cabello also performed two hit songs, and Normani and Khalid hit the stage for a duet. Janet Jackson performed for the first time in nine years. The Las Vegas crowd was especially excited to see the new group BTS perform “Fake Love.” There were also performances from Jennifer Lopez, Dua Lipa, and several others.

Not only did stars perform, but many added new awards to their collection. Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars were nominated for the most awards, with 15 nominations each. Sheeran won the Top Male Artist award, while Mars won top R&B artist. BTS won the award for Top Social Artist and Camila Cabello took home an award for Billboard Chart Achievement. Khalid was presented as the Top New Artist.

These Billboard music awards were also a memorable event, as Taylor Swift returned to an awards show for the first time in several years. She is currently on her stadium tour of the Reputation album. Swift left with two awards: one for top female artist and one for top artist.

This night packed with music, awards, and tributes and was definitely an unforgettable event.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.