Trump Won’t Be Indicted

Gage Skidmore

Gage Skidmore

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

After more than a year of investigation, there seems to be some clarity with the Russian Election Investigation.  Despite there being no signs of actual collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and no sketchy contact between the President and any Russian, Democrats have continued to claim that Russia was the reason that Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton in November of 2016.  After firing FBI Director James Comey, Trump appointed a seemingly bipartisan choice to take over the investigation, Robert Mueller. With Mueller now in charge of the probe for over a year, his team has finally told Trump’s lawyers that the President can’t be indicted, according to Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

The “greatest witch hunt” in American history, as Trump calls it, has turned up no evidence that any lawful indictment would occur, but the confirmation by Mueller’s team should bring ease to Trump and any of his supporters’ minds.  The truth of the matter is that Trump’s presidency has had a number of successes – the tax bill that gave tax cuts to most Americans and bringing peaceful negotiations to the table with North Korea – even without bipartisan support.  Democrats have had difficulty with accepting the Trump presidency and the Russia probe was the one piece of evidence they had to delegitimize the President.  With the news that the Russia investigation won’t lead to an indictment of Trump, one would think Democrats, over a year and a half into his presidency, will accept the people’s choice and start working with the President to try and help Americans.

It’s no secret that Democrats in Congress haven’t worked with Republicans and the President.  The first piece of evidence should be Trump’s willingness to provide funding for DACA, if Congress gave him his wall in the new spending bill.  Democrats said no to the bipartisan deal, despite publicly declaring that the United States should keep funding for DACA no matter what. Trump still ended up getting funding for his wall, using the increased military budget as the source.  The President knew that Democrats wouldn’t be bipartisan, so he proposed the bill to bring emphasis to the fact that Democrats are not bipartisan. He then went on to get what he wanted through another part of the bill. So, Democrats be warned.  Donald Trump is a genius negotiator and will get what he wants through his mind games built from being a very successful businessman. If Democrats want to actually get something in Trump’s presidency, they better start being bipartisan, especially now that their main piece of evidence invalidating Trump’s presidency is gone.