Dear Green Hope Teachers, Thank You

Red for Ed

Red for Ed

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Red for Ed

Peyton Barish, Senior Writer

In light of teachers across the state marching in the state capital next Wednesday, May 16th, I believe it is only right to recognize why teachers at Green Hope deserve our support when they march for not only their future but the future of their students. It is generally acknowledged that when a student walks into a class they have entered into an unspoken social contract between themselves and their teacher. Generally, it is expected that students will pay attention, be respectful, and put forth their best effort, while teachers are expected to treat their children as more than a number, create an environment conducive to learning, and show a willingness to be wrong. At Green Hope the student body is lucky to have a large majority of teachers that truly care about their students and create classes that are engaging.
Two of the best teachers I have ever had taught two of the classes I was not the strongest student in. Mrs. Lassiter and Ms. Reed upheld their end of the student-teacher contract in a way that showed they wanted their class to learn, but enjoy what they were learning as well. The classes were interactive, and if they had wanted to, they surely could have made the class an absolute bore for 90 days. Creating interactive learning environments, in turn, creates a class that students can become engaged in, and both of these teachers ensured that happened. Teachers that don’t do this will obviously face an issue with kids sleeping or skipping their class, and at some point, the administration needs to either address their teaching style or help them out the door because those are the teachers harming current students chance at success.
Another quality that a teacher must have to ensure a quality student-teacher relationship is a willingness to be wrong. Teachers like Mrs. Snider and Mr. Greenblatt expose themselves to the ideas and opinions of their students that does a lot for both the student and the teacher. As a student, it increases your willingness to listen to diverse viewpoints if the person that you are learning from is doing it as well. Yet teachers benefit even more because as Mr. Carrington says, “if we are continuously asking our students to learn and grow, then I think it’s only fair that we do the same as educators.” The idea that as a teacher you cannot be wrong creates a dynamic not of mutual respect but of student fear that will remain pervasive throughout the relationship. Teachers ruin the approachability that they have when they have this attitude and it can prove damaging to student learning. We have reached a new age where students and teachers collaborate instead of a master-student dynamic, and the teachers that fail to adjust will harm a student’s learning ability now and into the future.
The most important skill a teacher needs to have, especially at a school as big as Green Hope, is the ability to treat their students as more than just a number. Two teachers who embody that ideal are Mr. Hrehor and Mr. Hutchison. They both establish a rapport with their students that allows them to feel as though their teacher cares for them not just as a final exam score, but as an individual as well. The ability to ask a student how their day has been, or how a sporting event went creates a bond that will encourage a student to approach a teacher about a problem. Teachers like Hrehor and Hutchison are thankfully the norm for students at Green Hope, and are part of why this school is known as one of the best in the state.
Teachers like the six named above are why Teacher Appreciation Week is a nationwide event. The individuals who help fulfill their side of the student-teacher contract are the reason why successful students are created. They challenge us, listen to us, and mold us into the leaders of tomorrow.
At Green Hope we are extremely blessed with a large portion of teachers that make the effort to lift us up and rise to new heights, while always supporting us when we fall down.

Peyton Barish, Senior Staff Writer

Peyton Barish is a returning writer for the Falcon News Feed and hopes to do big things.  He dabbles in the sport of long-distance jogging and occasionally...