Avengers Hits a Billion

Alex Price, Staff Writer

In 11 days, Avengers: Infinity War made $1 billion worldwide. After nine days, it has already hit almost $500 million domestically. After about a 56% drop from the first weekend, Infinity War made $112 million last weekend topping the box office. Coming in second place was the debuting Overboard, which made almost $15 million. A Quiet Place and I Feel Pretty took third and fourth place, making $7.5 million and $5 million respectively. Rampage rounded off the top five, making $4.5 million.

Overboard was a remake of a film released in 1987. The 1987 original didn’t see much success in its first weekend but was able to see a resurgence in the following weeks. In the second week, it saw a double in revenue and ultimately saw a total of $27 million. The remake looks like it will be more successful as it’s already made half of that.

This weekend last year saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 open to $150 million, only slightly topping Avengers this weekend. However, after Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, the weekend saw a huge drop, with second place only making $8.5 million. With that being said, the weekend made more money last year, making $195 million compared to this year’s $164 million.

There are two new releases this weekend. Breaking In is a thriller about a single mom who has to fight off a group of men that break into her home one night. It stars Gabrielle Union and Billy Burke. Life of the Party is about a middle-aged woman who returns to college after getting a divorce. It stars Melissa McCarthy, Gillian Jacobs, and Debby Ryan.