Angels Among Us

Angels Among Us

Angels Among Us

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

Last weekend, on Saturday, April 28th, the 25th annual Angels Among Us event was held on Duke University’s campus. This event raises money for brain cancer and brain tumor research. Over 6,000 individuals gathered in Durham to make a difference. Tears, laughter, and hope filled this event, as survivors young and old joined family and friends. Thousands come together with their eyes on a future that includes a cure for brain cancer.

At 8 a.m., hundreds of people ran a 5K through the streets of Duke campus to support the cause. After the run, there was entertainment, food trucks, and awards, followed by a survivor’s family walk. On this 3K stroll, participants were able to enjoy the beautiful Sarah P. Duke Gardens. The event had great energy, as hundreds of people made teams to support those impacted by brain cancer. These teams designed T-shirts, and the best T-shirts and team names were given awards.

The slogan of Angels Among Us is “We believe in celebrating HOPE in the fight against brain cancer.” The first Angels Among Us event occurred in 1994 and raised $27,000. The organization has raised over $22 million in total to fund brain tumor research at The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center, where the Angels Among Us program is the largest source of funds for brain tumor research.

This year, the participants raised over 2 million dollars for brain tumor research. This set a new record for the program. Anyone can help support this organization by making a donation, volunteering, or attending the Angels Among Us Angels Among Us 5K and Family Fun Walk every year. Angels Among Us continues to unite thousands of people in raising money for a cause that affects so many lives.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons,...