Five Things to Know When Applying to College

Get ready Juniors. It's almost that time!

Common Application

Common Application

Erin McIndoe, Staff Writer

Junior year is tough- AP classes on top of AP classes. But college applications are stressful. Senior Zara Khan says, “procrastination is one of the worst things you can do while filling out your common application. You should always stay on top of things. Revise your essays. I am telling you this because I did not do any of this.” So get ready Juniors, it’s almost your turn.

Use these tips in order to stay on top of your college application process so you can get into your dream school.

1. Activities: Include activities that reflect your interests and future studies.  If you are interested in journalism, it makes sense to express your love for writing and your experiences in Falcon News Feed.  It would not make sense to describe your passion for the Math Club or the Robotics Team because it does not properly display your talents to the admissions committee.  
  2. Recommendations: College recommendations should reflect you as well.  Before the summer (Right now would be a good time Juniors.) after your Junior go to your teachers that you would like recommendations from and ask them.  That way, they have an ample amount of time to write a quality recommendation. When you choose the teachers you would like to write recs for you, you need to be sure they will write more about you than the stereotypical “I loved having her in class” or “she really came out of her shell in my class.”  Remember, these submissions from teachers and staff are just one piece of the puzzle that college admissions counselors will be putting together in order to understand who you were in high school.
  3. Essays: Brainstorm your essays beforehand.  This is your way to stand out beyond your GPA, sports, and clubs. Look at the prompts when they come out and brainstorm ideas on what you will write before you start. Make your essays meaningful, but know that the first draft of your essay will be the worst.  After that first draft, get multiple people to proofread them to make corrections so you can put your best foot forward to colleges. Early in the writing, do not pay attention to word count when you write your essays. Words can always be cut.
  4. Early Application: If you are applying early, fill out your applications over the summer.   The beginning of Senior year has a lot of fun things like sports, the State Fair, and Homecoming you don’t want to miss because of applications. The last thing you want to have to do all of is your college applications.
  5. Scholarship Opportunities: Pay attention to scholarships when you are applying.  Money can be a big factor why many people are not able to go to some schools. Focus on scholarship opportunities at the school you hope to attend, but also be open to scholarships to other colleges you are thinking about attending and also any scholarships related to your extracurriculars.

None of these things can ensure admission to the college of your choice, but being on top of college application requirements can make the process much less daunting.

Good Luck!

TL;DR
-Request recommendations early

-Revise your essay

-Review scholarship opportunities

-Relevant activities only

-Rethink procrastinating

Erin McIndoe, Managing Editor

This year in the Falcon News Feed Erin McIndoe, the senior class president here at Green Hope High School, is looking forward to getting involved in the school and to continue to write interesting articles. She has one older sister, plays volleyball, and her favorite holiday is Christmas because of the happy feeling. After high school, she sees herself going to college and pursuing a career in business. In her free time, she likes to hang out with friends, and the favorite place she’s travelled to is Hawaii. She looks up to her mom because she always finds the best in people.