Avengers Has The Biggest Opening Ever

Alex Price, Staff Writer

$250 million. That’s more money than 99% of people will see in their entire life. Marvel saw it in one weekend. Avengers: Infinity War made $250 million in three days. The biggest opening weekend ever. Five years ago, The Avengers had the biggest opening ever with just over $200 million, and after that, the record has been broken a couple times, Marvel takes its crown back from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Infinity War stole all thunder from all other movies last weekend. #2 was A Quiet Place, with a measly $10 million. That’s a $240 million difference between first and second place. The difference between second and third isn’t as drastic, with I Feel Pretty bringing in $8 million. Black Panther is also in the top five again, following Rampage at #4.

Avengers: Infinity War was an insanely anticipated movie, so much so that its record-breaking opening wasn’t even a question for many people. Including the $250 million opening in the US, it has already made $630 million worldwide. In comparison, The first Avengers film made just over $1.5 billion worldwide and Avengers: Age of Ultron made just over $1.4 billion. It seems inevitable that Infinity War will pass them. It also has a good chance of taking the record of highest domestic draw, currently held by Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Compared to this weekend last year, it wasn’t even a competition. Nothing can compete with the Avengers. The weekend last year was one of only ten weekends last year that drew less than $100 million. Fate of the Furious saw a 50% drop in revenue, drawing only $19 million, which doesn’t even compare to Avengers this weekend.

A week after every nerd in the world forced their girlfriend to watch Avengers, those girlfriends will have their revenge with Overboard this weekend, a romantic comedy about a yacht owner who is thrown overboard as revenge for his employee, whom he mistreats. It stars Anna Farris, Eva Longoria, and Eugenio Derbez. Also opening this weekend is Bad Samaritan, a horror thriller about a woman being held captive in a home that is robbed, starring David Tennant, and Tully, a comedy about a mother who forms a relationship with her new nanny, starring Charlize Theron and Mark Duplass.