Avengers Has The Biggest Opening Ever

Alex Price, Staff Writer

$250 million. That’s more money than 99% of people will see in their entire life. Marvel saw it in one weekend. Avengers: Infinity War made $250 million in three days. The biggest opening weekend ever. Five years ago, The Avengers had the biggest opening ever with just over $200 million, and after that, the record has been broken a couple times, Marvel takes its crown back from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Infinity War stole all thunder from all other movies last weekend. #2 was A Quiet Place, with a measly $10 million. That’s a $240 million difference between first and second place. The difference between second and third isn’t as drastic, with I Feel Pretty bringing in $8 million. Black Panther is also in the top five again, following Rampage at #4.

Avengers: Infinity War was an insanely anticipated movie, so much so that its record-breaking opening wasn’t even a question for many people. Including the $250 million opening in the US, it has already made $630 million worldwide. In comparison, The first Avengers film made just over $1.5 billion worldwide and Avengers: Age of Ultron made just over $1.4 billion. It seems inevitable that Infinity War will pass them. It also has a good chance of taking the record of highest domestic draw, currently held by Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Compared to this weekend last year, it wasn’t even a competition. Nothing can compete with the Avengers. The weekend last year was one of only ten weekends last year that drew less than $100 million. Fate of the Furious saw a 50% drop in revenue, drawing only $19 million, which doesn’t even compare to Avengers this weekend.

A week after every nerd in the world forced their girlfriend to watch Avengers, those girlfriends will have their revenge with Overboard this weekend, a romantic comedy about a yacht owner who is thrown overboard as revenge for his employee, whom he mistreats. It stars Anna Farris, Eva Longoria, and Eugenio Derbez. Also opening this weekend is Bad Samaritan, a horror thriller about a woman being held captive in a home that is robbed, starring David Tennant, and Tully, a comedy about a mother who forms a relationship with her new nanny, starring Charlize Theron and Mark Duplass.

Alex Price, Staff Writer
Alex is a sophomore an is new to the Falcon News Feed. He enjoys playing video games and other normal things like that. He also enjoys sleeping and eating, but he likes eating pizza more than other foods.