Penn Relays Preview

Penn Relays

Ryan Kemper, Sports Writer

This weekend, April 26th to 28th, your Men’s and Women’s Track and Field teams head to Philadelphia to run in the historic Penn Relays Carnival.  Green Hope is sending a boy’s 4x800m relay, a 3000m runner, a triple jumper and a girls 4x400m relay to compete against not only the best of the nation, but even some from beyond.

The event will kick off on Thursday the 26th with the girls 4x400m of seniors Lily Redick, Taylor Brown, Jordyn Parks, and Lindsey Eastwood will be running at 1:30 PM looking to qualify for a spot in the finals the next day.  The girls have been running very well the past few weeks and look to use the momentum they’ve built to grab a strong performance headed into the North Carolina postseason.

Friday morning headlines the premier event, the Boy’s 4x800m.  Junior Mike Biddle, and seniors Ian Delgado, Sean Petersen, Matthew Kehn and Ares Epps are projected to be in contention for a win and will be trying to take down powerhouses from Bishop Shanahan (PA), and 2 teams from Jamaica, St. Jago and Kingston College.  The boy’s will be racing at 9:40 AM looking for a berth in the finals on Saturday. The boy’s will be looking to show out again as they did in 2016, when they placed 3rd overall and set the state record which they later broke at the state meet that year.

Later that day, senior Peyton Barish will toe the line in the High School 3000m Championship.  Barish, the 4A Indoor State 3200m Championship will be looking to run a fast time headed into postseason.  Barish has only had one elite 3200m field this season and will hope the big stage at historic Franklin Field will propel him to big things.  Says Barish, “I’m excited to race some of the top competition in the Northeast, excited to see the boys from RWV2, and look forward to debuting the new singlets for the livestream.”

Finally, senior Ben Trubey will be competing in the Boy’s Triple Jump.  After a monster performance at the Patriot Invitational back in March, Trubey was eligible to compete in the event.  On a steady improvement throughout all of the indoor track season, Trubey is making a name for himself on the state level and is looking to do the same on the biggest stage until Nationals this weekend.  Look for a big performance from Ben to vault him into contention for an individual state title in the triple jump come May 19th.