Earth Day 2018

Earth Day 2018

Earth Day 2018

Jenkin Town Drakes/ District Office

Jenkin Town Drakes/ District Office

Earth Day 2018

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

This year’s Earth Day was on Saturday, April 22nd. Earth Day’s main focus is to raise awareness for the effects that pollution of all kinds has on our global ecology. On this day, many people march, sign petitions, clean up their towns and rivers, and plant trees.

The 2018 Earth Day theme was to End Plastic Pollution. The Earth Day Network (EDN), educates millions of people on the detrimental effects that plastic use has on our world, and supports the elimination of single-use plastics. This includes plastic cups, straws, utensils, and water bottles, which are consumed on a daily basis by millions of people.

The EDN is involved with advocating for the global regulation for plastic disposal. The growing amount of plastic in our oceans, wildlife, and other bodies of water cause concern for the many health risks that the use and disposal of plastics pose. The Earth Day Network hopes that the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day in 2020 will stimulate global action for bettering our world.

Here are some ways that you can participate in Earth Day and every day to keep our world healthy for the future:

• Walk, ride your bike, carpool, or take public transport whenever you can.
  • Recycle products if you can, so that these products can be used again.
  • Fix leaky faucets-all the little drops of water add up in the end.
  • Stop drinking water from plastic bottles, and instead turn to reusable bottles that can be used every day. The same goes for paper lunch bags- buying a lunch bag that can be used every day will decrease your daily use of paper.
  • Plant and grow your own food. By doing this, you can be sure that your food is all natural and organic, free of pesticides.
  • Start composting. Reuse your food scraps to create a fertile soil that’ll be sure to improve your new garden.
  • Spend more time outside in nature! Enjoy the outdoors by going on a hike, planning a picnic, or just spending time with friends and appreciate a moment of nature.