Come Look at the Freaks in “Sideshow”

Sideshow opens Thursday

Sideshow opens Thursday

GHHS Theatre

GHHS Theatre

Sideshow opens Thursday

At 7pm, this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and at 1pm on Saturday, Green Hope’s theater program is putting on the musical, “Sideshow.” “Sideshow” is about conjoined Siamese twins named Daisy and Violet Hilton who become famous stage performers in the 1930s. The theater department has been working on the show since December to prepare for the performance, which is around 1 hour and 30 minutes long. We interviewed Simone Georgy Sam, who plays one of the twins, and Emma Tonnemacher, the assistant director, about the show.

What has been your favorite part about this production?

Simone: My favorite part is bonding with the cast and getting to know them. Like the actual performance isn’t as important as all the rehearsals that have built up to this point.

What is your favorite number?

Simone: The numbers for me and Maya, the duets, like the closing number of act 1 and act 2 are pretty powerful. You get to belt out songs so that’s pretty cool.

Emma:  My favorite song is called Private Conversation. It’s not too deep, but there are some effects in it, some dancing. It’s a good number. It’s also my favorite part of the show.

What’s it been like having to portray conjoined twins?

Simone: That part is so challenging because we had to rehearse like how we were supposed to walk, like I have to wear 3 inch heels and coordinate our dance steps and everything so that was a challenge.

What has it been like directing the show?

Emma: It’s been fun. I’ve been in the past two musicals so this time it was different being on the creative side and being able to put in my input, not just being the one to do it but I can make what I want happen. So it’s fun to see my blocking and creative stuff happen.

Describe the show in 1 word.

Emma: Unique

Simone: Electric

Why should people come see the show?

Simone: Over the months we’ve worked so hard to tell this story about twins that are conjoined who have been exploited in their lives and I think the story connects to all of us in our lives because we’re all outcasts or misfits in some way. I think we can really connect with them in some way and have the message resonate with the audience. The show has so many moving set pieces and it’s very visually aesthetic so that you should come see how hard the arts students have worked on the set and tech students and the pit is AMAZING.

Emma: It’s a really cool show. It’s a production, a spectacle of a show. There’s a lot of interesting things to see. It’s universal in the message of accepting yourself and accepting others for the way they are and not putting yourself down for the things that make you unique. And it’s got some love, some dance, some great songs. It’s got everything.

To purchase tickets, visit: https://www.showtix4u.com/boxoffice.php?submit=Search+for+Events&begin=1542968&current_client=02000069123115233