Joey Hegeman Commitment

Joey with Joe Girardi

Joey with Joe Girardi

GHFALCONS

GHFALCONS

Joey with Joe Girardi

Kohl Abrams, Sports Writer

Joey Hegeman is a Senior here at Green Hope High School. Joey first tried out for the baseball team as a freshman, but got cut. That year he continued to work hard and came back in his sophomore year and made the JV team. Later that season, he got called up in the playoffs and got to pitch in the NCHSAA State Championship. His junior season he got cut from the varsity team, but that only fueled him. Playing for the local legion team and continuing to pitch, Joey was the best version of himself that anyone has ever seen. This year, his senior season, Joey made the varsity team, and has been a huge contributor to the falcons success this year. He threw an impressive 7 ⅓ shutout innings in the NHSI tournament against one of the best teams in the country. Joey still holds the best ERA on the team, posting a very impressive 0.00. I sat down with Joey to talk about his recent commitment to Guilford College

1. When did you begin playing Baseball? “When I was 3 playing Morrisville rec T-ball”
  2. What inspired you or pushed you to pursue baseball at the collegiate level? “My mom has really been a big influence in my life and inspired me to push myself.”
  3. What schools were you considering before your commitment? “Actually no other schools other than guildford reached out to me.”
  4. What stands out about Guilford for you? “It has a very nice campus and has small class sizes to help me focus.”
  5. Who is the most impactful person you have ever had in your sports life? “My biggest inspiration would have to be my mom and all that she has gone through to let me play baseball.”
  6. Do you know what you want to major in? “Sports science”

What are your plans/goals after college? “I would like to become an athletic trainer.”