The Golden…States?

Ben Carawan, News Editor

Arizona became a state in 1912. Hawaii became a state in 1959. Alaska also became a state in 1959. These are the three most recent territories to gain statehood in the nation. No state has been added to the union since 1959. That could all change within the coming years. A new initiative has surfaced, known as “CAL 3.” This proposition would split the existing state of California into three separate states. These states would be known as Northern California, California, and Southern California.

This plan has been created by Timothy Draper, a billionaire, and the person who previously attempted to split California into six separate states a few years ago. According to the initiative’s website, the divided states will benefit from improved education, separate identity, autonomy, and diversity, better economies & trade relations, a more efficient government, improved roads and infrastructure, and more manageable government spending.

Draper says that he has enough support to divide the existing state of California into three states. He claims that California cannot accommodate all of its citizens’ needs and should, therefore, be split up to keep all citizens happy and keep up with numerous types of infrastructure that need updating. Draper has collected more than 600,000 signatures (approximately double the required amount) in support of his plan. The petition will be taken to the Secretary of State for verification and will be sent to Congress after that. This topic could end up on California’s November ballot if congressional support is gained.

Currently, most experts do not believe that this plan will work (like similar initiatives), but the nation will see, later this year, whether The Golden State will be split into three or if it will stay as it is.

More information about the initiative can be found on its website, at threestateca.com.

All images are from CAL 3, at threestateca.com.

Ben Carawan, News Editor
This Ben’s second year as a member of the Falcon News Feed. He is a member of an ever-decreasing population of people who have of lived in Cary their whole lives. Ben uses his native Cary skills to primarily cover local news and student life. In his free time, Ben likes driving, but is awful...