“Beychella,” The New Coachella

A reunion with headliner Beyoncé and Destiny’s Child during Coachella performance in Indio, California.

APF / Getty

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

Saturday, April 14th marked history being made at Coachella, by none other than Beyoncé. Queen Bey was supposed to perform at last year’s festival but was unable to due to her pregnancy with her twins, Rumi and Sir Carter. But a year’s wait was worth it for fans, as Beyoncé’s performance blew them away.

Letting the crowd know that she was making history, Beyoncé included many surprises throughout her set. She sang “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” which is commonly known as the black national anthem. She also played parts of a Malcolm X speech, saying, “The most disrespected person in America is the black woman.” Her performance brought diversity to Coachella, a commonly thought of “white hipster festival.”

Before singing, “Run the World (Girls),” Beyoncé said to the crowd, “Coachella, thank you for allowing me to be the first black woman to headline.” Her set included her best material from over the years, including “Crazy in Love” from 2003, as well as “Freedom,” “Formation” and “Sorry” from her latest album in 2016, Lemonade. Her set also included many guests to sing with her. Beyoncé sang “Deja Vu” with her husband Jay Z. Her girl group before going solo, Destiny’s Child, also reunited for “Lose My Breath,” “Say My Name,” and “Soldier.” Beyoncé’s sister, Solange Knowles, also joined her on stage to dance. During her set, DJ Khaled’s voice over the speakers said, “Coachella gotta rename Coachella the Beychella. New name alert: Beychella!”