Duke Scholarship Recipients

Duke University

Lily Redick, Staff Writer

Two students at Green Hope, Cayley Ryan, and Shania Khoo, have been awarded a prestigious scholarship to Duke University. The Benjamin N. Duke Scholarship is a full ride providing tuition for eight semesters, room and board, and fees to Duke. Being in this program, the scholars are required to attend bimonthly meetings and special seminars their first year. These students will have many classes focusing on the value of service and will develop skills as a leader, becoming innovative, disciplined, compassionate and a problem solver. The scholars are selected from a highly qualified group of accepted Duke students from North and South Carolina.

The scholarship is named after Benjamin N. Duke, who was a looked up to leader and philanthropist. He wanted to encourage Duke University to build its Carolina heritage, therefore the scholarship is only available to students from the Carolinas.

The Benjamin N. Duke Scholarship looks for students who are academically successful, engaged in the community, and that aspire to be leaders. Through this scholarship, the scholars receive two summer study experiences, one study abroad and one in the Carolinas. The goal is to equip them with the skills to partner and collaborate with others in the real world.

The selection process is very extensive. Every accepted Duke applicant is automatically considered for merit based scholarships. The committee will select finalists for the Benjamin N. Duke Scholarship and then those finalists will be invited to attend a campus visit that includes an interview and opportunities to meet with professors and current Benjamin N. Duke scholars.

Cayley Ryan is a well-deserved recipient of the Benjamin N. Duke scholars. She is someone who her classmates look up to and she is involved in many clubs, teams, and organizations in and out of school. Cayley applied as an early decision applicant, so she would still be attending Duke University without the scholarship. Cayley shared that this scholarship was not applied for separately. The committee used the accepted students’ applications to the college to choose 20 finalists for this scholarship. Those 20 finalists were then invited to attend a four day campus visit in which they were allowed to sit in on classes, meet other finalists, meet with faculty, and participate in a 45 minute interview on the final day. Cayley said “The experience was really neat. The staff was able to see how we all acted with each other the first few days and by the time of the interview, it was pretty natural.” About three days after Cayley left the Duke campus, she received a phone call informing her of her being chosen as a BN Duke scholar. She is very thankful for this opportunity and is grateful of her plans for her college education.

Shania Khoo is also a dedicated, rightly earned recipient. Without receiving the BN Duke scholarship, she would not be attending Duke University. She is an academic role model to many and enjoys being involved in many clubs in and outside of school. Shania takes many leadership roles in service based and musical clubs. Shania attended the finalists’ Duke campus visits with the other 19 finalists. That was the first time she had attended the campus. She said the overall experience was relaxed and based on community building. She was able to sit in on one class of Ethics and Policy and she found it very intriguing. She also enjoyed getting to know the faculty and shared they were very supportive and reassured the finalists the hard work is done. Three days after Shania left the campus, she received a phone call informing her of her scholarship. Shania proclaimed, “I was so excited and stunned!” Shania is looking forward to expanding her education as a Blue Devil and is thankful for this opportunity.

Congratulations to Ms. Ryan and Ms. Khoo on this prestigious scholarship. Green Hope wishes you the best!