The Box Office Goes on a Rampage

Alex Price, Staff Writer

A week after A Quiet Place debuts, the box office experiences a complete shake-up, with Rampage taking the top spot with $34 million. At this point, it seems inevitable that a movie starring the former WWE Champion, Dwayne Johnson, will dominate the box office. After that, however, A Quiet Place comes in a close second, only making $2 million less than Rampage. Coming in third was Truth or Dare, which was competing with A Quiet Place for top horror movie of the weekend. Rounding off the top five were Ready Player One and Blockers, making $11 million and $10 million respectively. For the first time since its release, Black Panther is out of the top five, coming in sixth.

While Johnson’s involvement was a huge factor, Rampage’s success is a big deal. With a $34 million opening weekend, it had the third-best opening weekend for a video game adaptation ever. The only two video game adaptations that saw a more successful opening were Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, the 2001 film, not the 2018 reboot, and The Angry Birds Movie. It has also made a big splash worldwide, making almost $115 million already.

Compared to last year, this weekend underperformed. Last year, the weekend saw the debut of another “Rock” movie, The Fate of The Furious, which earned almost $100 million in its debut weekend. However, if you were to calculate the total gross without the respective top spots, 2018 wins the weekend.

This weekend will see the release of two major comedies. I Feel Pretty is about an insecure woman that hits her head and begins to see herself as the prettiest woman in the world. It stars Amy Schumer, Michelle Williams, and Emily Ratajkowski. Also releasing this weekend is Super Troopers 2, the sequel to the 2001 comedy. It stars Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, and Lynda Carter. Next weekend will also see the release of more competition for A Quiet Place, in the form of Traffik, a thriller about a couple who goes on a romantic vacation in the mountains. It stars Paula Patton, Missi Pyle, and Dawn Olivieri.

Alex Price, Staff Writer
Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be...