Back to Article
Back to Article

Isaac Fisher and Finn McBride to Attend Services Academies

Finn McBride (L) will attend the Naval AcademyIsaac Fisher(R) will attend the Air Force Academy.

Julia Agius

Julia Agius

Julia Agius

April 17, 2018

Many students at Green Hope go to prestigious colleges and receive full scholarships. However, few students attend the service academies for myriad reasons, namely the physical vigor and the necessary congressional appointment. This year, two seniors will be attending service academies next year. Isaac Fisher is attending the Air Force Academy and Finn McBride the Naval Academy.

Isaac Fisher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isaac Fisher

Which service academy are you going to?

The United States Air Force Academy

What was the application process like and how does it differ from other colleges.

Well, for one, the application is very long and took me about 4 months to complete from start to finish.  On top of the academic application, I had to also take a fitness assessment, complete a very long medical examination, and lastly had to apply for a congressional nomination from Senator Thom Tillis, Senator Richard Burr, and Representative David Price of the fourth district.  The Academy and Congressional Nominations all required interviews, so for a few weekends, I was dressing up in my most American suit and tie and interviewing all around North Carolina.

Did you apply to other colleges?

I knew that I wanted to attend the Air Force Academy but as backup schools, I applied to Chapel Hill, NC State, Charlotte, Alabama, and also applied to ROTC for each of the schools.

Why did you choose the academy that you chose?

After visiting the Air Force Academy and meeting some of the cadets and the baseball coaches, I just had a feeling it was where I was supposed to go and the person I was supposed to become.  The life as a military officer is a life characterized by service, selflessness, and leadership. It is certainly a challenge, but I am looking forward to working hard.

What do you want to do when you’re in the academy?

I am looking into studying business and then working as either a Business Acquisitions Officer, or possibly going into Air Force Intelligence.

When do you start?

I am flying out to Colorado Springs June 24th with my family and have to officially report on June 28th at the Academy for “In-Processing Day”.  Then, 6 weeks of basic training starts and a 4:30 am wake-up time becomes normal for me.

What do you think will be the greatest challenge at the Academy?

Balancing time will definitely be tough.  The average cadet takes about 21 class credit hours per semester and about 10 military training credit hours.  Balancing military training, class, and athletics will a challenge.

What inspired or made you want to pursue this?

After meeting the people at the Academy, I didn’t want to become a “normal” college kid.  I wanted to be a part of something greater and live a life of service beyond myself. I believe the Air Force Academy is the greatest school in the world and I am looking forward to becoming part of the United States Air Force and serving the greatest nation I get to call my home.

Finn McBride

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finn McBride

Which service academy are you going to?

The US Naval Academy

What was the application process like and how does it differ from other colleges?

The application process involves two different applications, first is the preliminary application which must be filled out by June of junior year, then if you make it past that you can work on the application. The application is similar to others in that it involves transcripts, recommendations, and lots of questions and essays. The application also involves a physical military test and an interview with a Blue and Gold officer who is a graduate of the Academy. The application is very strenuous and took me all summer

Did you apply to other colleges?

I didn’t apply to any other colleges because I found out I was in before most universities closed applications.

I chose the Naval Academy over the other academies because it had the best academics (ranked #1 for public universities by Forbes) and it had the best athletic programs for my sport (cross country and track).

In the academy, I want to continue my athletic career in running and break a 4 minute mile. I also want to strengthen my military knowledge and fighting/ shooting skills.

When do you start?

I start basic training in Annapolis, Maryland at the Naval Academy on June 28, and I start school August 15th.

I think the greatest challenge for me will be balancing my time, in order to be successful in athletics and academics and not be miserable, I will need key time management skills. Which I am capable of doing.

My inspirations are my goals of serving my country. It will also serve my personal goals and set me up in a great situation to make a great career in the Navy or in the civilian world after my mandatory 5 years of naval service.