Baseball Slams Athens Drive

(1) Green Hope 13, Athens Drive 4

(1) Green Hope 13, Athens Drive 4

Bradley Stewart

Bradley Stewart

(1) Green Hope 13, Athens Drive 4

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

In their first game since finishing runner-up in the National High School Invitational Tournament, Green Hope demolished Athens Drive, 13-4.  The win moved the Falcons to 12-3 on the year and 3-0 in conference play. Some critics thought that Green Hope might auffer a let down following their impressive run in a prestigious national tournament, but the players clearly showed that their game has, in fact, reached its pinnacle.

Green Hope jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first.  However, after a scoreless second inning, the Falcons saw themselves commit two errors in the field, allowing four runs, to fall behind by three.  The bats then came out for Green Hope, as they scored three runs to tie the game in the third, two runs in the fourth, three in the fifth, and four in the sixth.  Sophomore Liam Norris got the start and fanned six batters in three innings of work. Joey Hegeman, who held John Curtis to zero runs in seven innings two weeks ago, pitched four innings in relief, allowing one hit for zero runs and striking out four batters, earning the win.  With dozens of MLB scouts in attendance, Jordyn Adams was walked three times and added a single, while scoring twice. Connor Knapp went one for two with an RBI.  Josh Harris, Kohl Abrams, Liam McHale, Angel Collazo, and Kevin Pitarra all contributed a RBI of their own in the blowout.

The Falcons next game is Wednesday at Northern.  The Knights are 4-10 on the season and all four wins have come in conference play.  Green Hope will close out the week in a rematch with Athens Drive. Come out and support.

About the Contributor
Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball....