The Dirty Dozen of 2018

According to the EWG, a single strawberry sample contains 22 pesticide residues. This is due to the fact that they grow close to the ground with no protective outer layer, leading to a high amount of pesticide residue.

Pixabay/The Old Farmer’s Almanac

Pixabay/The Old Farmer’s Almanac

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, April 4th, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) released the 2018 dirty dozen list. This list contains the 12 fruits and vegetables that contain the highest number of pesticides:

1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Nectarines
  4. Apples
  5. Grapes
  6. Peaches
  7. Cherries
  8. Pears
  9. Tomatoes
  10. Celery
  11. Potatoes
  12. Sweet Bell Peppers

Nataliya Arzamasova / Shutterstock
The EWG reported that out of 360 avocados sampled, only 1 pesticide was found on them.

Sonya Lunder, an EWG senior analyst, said, “In general, produce with a thick outer peel that you don’t eat is going to have less pesticide residues than leafy greens or produce with a soft, edible skin.” The EWG cautions the public to buy organic produce whenever possible, which don’t use pesticides. Consumption of pesticides can lead to many health risks, including health and nervous system damage, cancer, hormone disruption, and problems with fertility. In addition to the dirty dozen list, the EWG has also created the clean 15 list, which includes produce that is the safest to eat:

1. Avocados
  2. Sweet Corn
  3. Pineapples
  4. Cabbages
  5. Onions
  6. Sweet Peas (frozen)
  7. Papayas
  8. Asparagus
  9. Mangoes
  10. Eggplants
  11. Honeydew Melons
  12. Kiwis
  13. Cantaloupes
  14. Cauliflower
  15. Broccoli

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!