Green Hope Leads Wells Fargo Cup

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Over Spring Break, the NCHSAA released the 4A Wells Fargo Cup standings after the winter sports season. The Wells Fargo Cup is a contest between all the high schools in the state. They accumulate points for each sport based on performances in the state playoffs. Green Hope has won eight of these titles in a row and after the winter sports standings, are hoping to win their ninth.

Green Hope now has 452.5 points for this school year. Big time contributors to this number are Women’s Tennis, Men’s Cross Country, Volleyball, Men’s Indoor Track, and Men’s Swimming and Diving. All of these sports won state championships and received 50 points towards our Wells Fargo Cup total. Women’s Cross Country finished second in the state, contributing 45 points. Other teams that contributed include Gymnastics, Women’s Swimming and Diving, Football, and Women’s Basketball.

The closest competition for the Falcons is Cardinal Gibbons High School with a score of 280. The two schools have had a history of close competitions in the state playoffs of many sports and close Wells Fargo Cup finishes each year. To add on to this state-wide success, Green Hope was named the #1 athletic program in the nation after the Fall sports season. Make sure to go cheer on your spring sports and help push them to our ninth Wells Fargo Cup title!

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun,...