Soccer Falls Short to the Pride

On Monday, the 29th of March, the Green Hope Women’s Soccer Team faced off against the Pride of Leesville Road. Leesville is ranked number one in the area, while the Falcons are ranked number two. Both teams were coming off of solid win streaks and were hoping to keep them alive. Senior, Kacie Mollin said,  “I think that we started a little slow because we had a lot of new girls, but it on took us a few games to gel and work together. Now we are playing well as a team.”

The game started early, with a goal from junior Bridget Barrett. This was caused by beautiful passing up the field from the Falcons who found Barrett open in the center of the field. The team was able to finish off the half behind solid defense from the back line. When asked about key components on the team, Mollin said, “Catherine Holbrook in the midfield because she’s strong and creates plays. Bridget Barrett because she’s good at holding up the ball and can score. Montana is a freshman playing center back which isn’t her position at all and she’s playing exceptional at it.” The half time score was 1-0 for the Falcons.

At the start of the second half, Leesville was able to score a free kick which tied the game 1-1. Throughout the middle of the second half, the teams were going back and forth trying to find that one goal needed to go in front. The Pride were able to find that goal first, with a cross from the left hand side and a tap in from their winger. Green Hope was now down 2-1 and needed strong play to get back in the game.

With about eight minutes left in the game, Leesville was able to get a shot from outside the 18 yard box that found the back of the net. The scoreline was now 3-1 for the Pride and the Falcons would not go out without a strong effort. Senior Kacie Mollin was able to score a beautiful shot from outside the box with four minutes left in the game. The Falcons kept looking for the tying goal but came up short in a close 3-2 game.

The Lady Falcons Soccer team is now 2-1-2 this season. They will not play another game until next Monday at Cary High in a tough Tri-6 conference battle. Make sure to come out and cheer on your Lady Falcons!

About the Writers
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”

Sean Petersen, Staff Writer

Sean Petersen is a senior. He enjoys cuddling with his pet lizard. Sean’s favorite dish is Ziti el forno made by Mrs. Morton. In his free time, he like to take his pet lizard, Battleship, on walks around the neighborhood. Sean is new to the Falcon News Feed staff.