Soccer Falls Short to the Pride

On Monday, the 29th of March, the Green Hope Women’s Soccer Team faced off against the Pride of Leesville Road. Leesville is ranked number one in the area, while the Falcons are ranked number two. Both teams were coming off of solid win streaks and were hoping to keep them alive. Senior, Kacie Mollin said,  “I think that we started a little slow because we had a lot of new girls, but it on took us a few games to gel and work together. Now we are playing well as a team.”

The game started early, with a goal from junior Bridget Barrett. This was caused by beautiful passing up the field from the Falcons who found Barrett open in the center of the field. The team was able to finish off the half behind solid defense from the back line. When asked about key components on the team, Mollin said, “Catherine Holbrook in the midfield because she’s strong and creates plays. Bridget Barrett because she’s good at holding up the ball and can score. Montana is a freshman playing center back which isn’t her position at all and she’s playing exceptional at it.” The half time score was 1-0 for the Falcons.

At the start of the second half, Leesville was able to score a free kick which tied the game 1-1. Throughout the middle of the second half, the teams were going back and forth trying to find that one goal needed to go in front. The Pride were able to find that goal first, with a cross from the left hand side and a tap in from their winger. Green Hope was now down 2-1 and needed strong play to get back in the game.

With about eight minutes left in the game, Leesville was able to get a shot from outside the 18 yard box that found the back of the net. The scoreline was now 3-1 for the Pride and the Falcons would not go out without a strong effort. Senior Kacie Mollin was able to score a beautiful shot from outside the box with four minutes left in the game. The Falcons kept looking for the tying goal but came up short in a close 3-2 game.

The Lady Falcons Soccer team is now 2-1-2 this season. They will not play another game until next Monday at Cary High in a tough Tri-6 conference battle. Make sure to come out and cheer on your Lady Falcons!