Return of the Unabomber?

Wikimedia Commons

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

Ted Kaczynski was a very smart and educated young man.  He attended Harvard at the age of 16. But, upon seeing society turn more and more reliant on technology, he changed and started to attack others, becoming the “Unabomber.”  

Kaczynski’s bombing sprees began in 1978.  In a nine-year span, he sent a dozen bombs in the mail, hiding them as packages.  He mainly targeted universities and colleges. After an eyewitness saw him place one of his bombs, and a very accurate police sketch was drawn, Kaczynski went on a six-year hiatus.  In 1993, he returned to his bombings, and eventually sent out four more, until his arrest in April of 1996. Kaczynski eventually pleaded guilty, which earned him life imprisonment without parole.  In total, the Unabomber killed three people and injured countless others.

On March 2, a package bomb detonated in Harris Ridge, outside of Austin, Texas, and killed 39-year-old Anthony Stephen House.  Ten days later, two more bombs exploded right outside Austin, which killed one person and injured another.  Less than a week later, a bomb exploded on a roadside near Austin. No one was killed, but two men were injured.  And last night, a device exploded in a FedEx facility outside of San Antonio. No one was injured in the explosion.  Authorities have said that there may be a possible connection between the FedEx bombing and the Austin bombings. They say that they are dealing with a “serial bomber.” Police have said that the attacks have increased in sophistication.  Kaczynski’s bombs were described in the same way. Authorities currently have no suspects and the reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect has increased to $115,000.

Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball.  I enjoy watching and playing basketball, football, and golf.  My favorite sports teams are the Steelers and Duke.