To Walk Out or Not to Walk Out?

Bilal Azzam, Staff Writer

Green Hope’s walkout has been one of the most widely mentioned topics in Green Hope for the past few weeks. Many supported the fallen students in Florida by walking out to the march. However, some decided to show their support in different ways and simply didn’t believe that the march was the right way to help.

The controversial walk of Green Hope has sparked many conversations both for it and against it. Some believe that banding together a marching for a few hours will help show the world their support. On the other hand, some believe that the walk, protesting against gun violence in schools, is not the correct steps that should be taken. Josh Veeder, a junior at Green Hope, says “I don’t believe that banning guns from schools will solve the problem, teachers should have the option to arm themselves if see fit.” He then brings up a solid point about New Mexico. Josh said, “In New Mexico, teachers arm themselves, and how many shootings have you heard of there?”

The major question being asked is whether banning guns can help keep school shooters, and shooters in general, away from public places. People who are not joining the walk tend to believe that banning guns will actually help worsen the problem. Many of these students bring up the drug ban. Although drugs are banned, many bad people are still able to get their hands on them, which leaves only the unethical people to have illegal substances. Same goes for guns, banning it will only allow the bad people to attain the weapons, and the people who are defending citizens will be vulnerable.

There are several different sides regarding this controversial issue, coming from all scopes of the spectrum. Josh, for example, brought up points that expressed his views regarding increasing guns in school to reduce violence, while other students who agreed with the walk brought up arguments regarding banning the use of guns in schools. At the end of the day, what really matters is that Green Hope showed their support toward all people affected by recent events in Parkland Florida, no matter what side of the issue they agree on.

Bilal Azzam, News Editor

Bilal is a Junior in is his second year on staff. Originally from New Jersey, Bilal moved to Egypt
when he was six years old and spent 5 years in Cairo...