Black Panther Continues to Dominate

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Last weekend saw the release of anticipated movies like A Wrinkle in Time, Strangers: Prey at Night and Gringo. Despite the added variety in the theater, Black Panther held its position at #1 in the box office for the fourth week in a row, and it is still accomplishing things once thought impossible. Over the weekend, Black Panther hit $1 million worldwide and passed The Dark Knight both domestic and worldwide. While it hasn’t passed The Avengers, it has made more in its first four weeks than The Avengers did.

As stated earlier, Black Panther was #1 at the box office last weekend, raking in just over $41 million. Two new releases, A Wrinkle in Time and Strangers: Prey at Night were ranked two and three respectively, making $33,316,000 and $10,480,000. After that, returning films like Red Sparrow, Game Night, and Peter Rabbit round off the top five. Two other new films, The Hurricane Heist and Gringo, didn’t see as much success, getting ranked eight and eleven, making $3,150,000 and $2,630,000. Compared to its predecessor, the Strangers sequel saw about half of the success in its opening weekend, but with so many popular films out right now, that isn’t a surprise. Looking at the weekend a year ago, a weekend in which Kong: Skull Island released and Logan and Get Out were still popular, this year the weekend made about $30 million less.

New releases this weekend include I Can Only Imagine, Love, Simon, and Tomb Raider. I Can Only Imagine is a drama depicting the story behind a popular Christian song with the same title. It stars J. Michael Finley and Brody Rose. Love, Simon is a romantic comedy about a closeted gay teen who has to deal with his community when they find out. It stars Nick Robinson, Josh Duhamel, and Jennifer Garner. Tomb Raider is an action-adventure about a young explorer looking for her father. It is based on the 2013 video game that rebooted the Tomb Raider franchise. It stars Alicia Vikander, Dominic West, and Walton Goggins.

Alex Price, Staff Writer
Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be...